Greetings from NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greetings from NY

I don't quite get the point of the additional splits. If you want additional thermal mass, why not just pour a concrete slug under your floor? If it's not directly next to fire or smoke, you don't need firebrick. Am I missing something?

I'm also concerned about your phrase:
    I am doing this as an alternative to the "Board".
    You do have lots of insulation under your floor, right? More firebricks or thermal mass is no substitute for proper insulation.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Dmun,

The Pompeii plans call for 3.5" Concrete Slab + a 4" Vermiculite Slab. The plans state that you can add additional Thermal Mass on your oven floor by either adding a layer of firebrick splits between the oven floor and vermiculite or by adding a Refractory Board that is sold by Forno Bravo. I don't like the idea of the Refractory Board and would like to use the Splits instead.

Am I misreading the plans? I already purchased the Firebrick Splits. If the above is clear, would appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by delay!fox View Post
        The plans state that you can add additional Thermal Mass on your oven floor by either adding a layer of firebrick splits between the oven floor and vermiculite or by adding a Refractory Board that is sold by Forno Bravo. I don't like the idea of the Refractory Board and would like to use the Splits instead.
        You're talking apples & oranges here. The board does not add thermal mass; it replaces the layer of vermiculite. It's just an alternative type of insulation for those who don't want to mess with the vermiculite. So you can place your splits right on the vermiculite layer if you want to add some mass (just like you could place them on the board if you had used that instead).

Daren
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
        X