Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buon Giorno Tutti, from Michael di Corydon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buon Giorno Tutti, from Michael di Corydon!

I ran across this site approximately fifteen minutes ago because of a successful Google search (that may not seem like much but my lack of success with that particular search engine is the stuff of wine, fire and laughter) for fireplace oven combo.

I was so stunned by a whole community of people dedicated to this idea and to my first love, Pizza, that -- I am NOT making this up -- I actually teared up a little for the first several seconds!

I'm looking forward to learning a LOT in this place!

My name is Michael and I'm a Language Geek. I live in Corydon, Indiana with my wife and son, Kristin and Luke. I purchased ten acres last year because I grew up on a farm and wanted my boy to have room to grow and learn; sadly no one these days can afford a large farm without being relatively wealthy or moving quite a long way out of the city. That being the case I settled for what land we could manage.

My intent is to transform our land into a place of comfort and happiness, productive and safe, where the troubles of the world may still lurk and loom beyond the fences but inside things are restful and interesting without all the stress.

I served in the military for nearly 22 years, a bit over 11 with the Air Force, nearly 11 more with the Army National Guard, including a long tour in Iraq. During my time with the Air Force I lived in San Vito dei Normanni, down in the heel of the boot of Italy. This is where I was introduced to the wonder that is real pizza and real FOOD, where I was dipped in the waters of culinary passion.

I've lived in England, Italy and Japan, served in Iraq and Kuwait, traveled to a few other places and enjoyed that part of my life (mostly). Now I'm home to settle down in a place I hope to turn into a blend of dacha and campagna.

I'm very, very happy to be here.

Re: Buon Giorno Tutti, from Michael di Corydon!

Welcome Michael, and very nice to have you here! You have come to the right place!

Travis n'Texas
    TravisNTexas

Comment

Welcome! Glad you found the forum. Are you thinking of building a wood-fired oven? You'll find lots of people here who share your passion. I'm a former Hoosier myself, from the LaPorte area.

Daren
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Hi Michael,

You're right down the street from me. I'm in Jeffersontown. Yeah, you REALLY need a pizza oven on that land of yours. Keep pouring over the forum for great ideas. Once you get inspired, we'll give you the support you need to build a nice pizza oven.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hi Michael,

with all that land you caould keep goats and sheep and bees and plant your own wheat... and do lots of other cool things some of us here would like to do but can't.

And then you can tell us all about it. I look forward to that, your safe haven sounds like a great idea!
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
            Hi Michael,

with all that land you caould keep goats and sheep and bees and plant your own wheat... and do lots of other cool things some of us here would like to do but can't.

And then you can tell us all about it. I look forward to that, your safe haven sounds like a great idea!
            You know, I thought that too. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

It's going to take me a while to get to the oven. What I hope to do is build a pavilion-style place outside for family and gatherings, something with detachable walls/screens to give it dual duty for all seasons. I hope to have a fireplace and pizza oven inside, along with grill and stove for cooking and canning.

Right now I'm nowhere near prepared for this project; too many other things, such as the greenhouse, wood shed, etc. It will likely be two to three years before I tackle the pavilion, so I'm concentrating on research and ideas between now and then. I believe this is the right place for me!

Thanks, everyone, for the greetings. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Comment

Actually, farther down the line I plan to get a few sheep and some bees. A friend of mine back home raises bees, I plan to pick his brain for knowledge (images of Sylar from Heroes). As my son gets older, I also plan on getting him a milk cow. I grew up milking our family's breakfast drink, I figure one cow is all we'll be able to handle. Again, farther down the line. Time, money, all that stuff... *sigh*

For now my concentration is just on getting the place in shape. I was, in fact, out walking my garden area last night and realized that I have a lot more sloping ground than I realized, so I'll have to start planning some terracing in order to make the most of my soil. If anyone has knowledge or thoughts on that, I'd be all ears!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
                  Actually, farther down the line I plan to get a few sheep and some bees.
                  Hahaa, I knew it - very cool!

Don't know much about terracing, but since you're asking I'd go with drywalls, where you'll get lizzards and interesing plants etc. Should be fun to build, too.
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Welcome .

Comment

Working...
                    X