Hello from Adelaide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Adelaide

Just a quick note to let you know what a great forum this is and that after reading through the posts for the last few months I have enough confidence and enthusiasm to have a go at building my very own WFO. I hope to get started with the slab in the next few weeks. I became interested in wood ovens a few years ago when I bought the Russel Jeavons book but I just didn't have enough info to give it a go. Fortunately I found this forum which is a treasure trove of advice and ideas. I have been following a number of builds and am amazed at how great the ovens are coming out. Anyway, I will probably have many problems to solve once I get started and will probably be looking for some advice.

Cheers

Salv
    Salv

my wood oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...uild-5896.html

Re: Hello from Adelaide

Wow, yet another Aussie and another from Adelaide as well!! Welcome to the forum. There are a ton of folks here to help you with any technical issue or question you might have, and a lot of folks local to you that can help with where to get materials, etc. Very nice to have you here!

Travis
    TravisNTexas

Comment

Thanks for the friendly welcome Travis. I am sure I will make frequent use of the expertise on the forum. I haven't ever laid a brick before so I will be doing a lot of learning. I read a lot of threads over the last few months and did notice a number of Adelaide folks on the forum - there must be some strange affinity to wood fired ovens down our way!

Cheers

Salv
      Salv

Comment

Welcome!!!

We have a lot of representation from Australia and seem to be getting more everyday - No doubt its because building season is ramping up on your hemisphere and ramping down on mine....

Take plenty pics and an occasional movie!!!

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

Hey, welcome aboard. I'm a complete Newb here, so I have no "words of wisdom" for you! Best of success with your build, and be sure to post updates!
          alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss".
          - Pete Townshend

Comment

Hey, this forum really is a friendly place to be!

Christo - yep there is not much chance of rain here at the moment, we are going through a fairly severe drought and summer is just round the corner. I'm going to take some time off after christmas to really get the project moving along. I actually cleared the area last weekend and got it ready for the foundation pour. My digital camera is playing up (the battery wont charge) so once that is fixed I'll start taking some pics.

Alan - thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure if youre not hooked yet to start building you soon will be.

Salv
            Salv

Comment

Hi there Salv,
              Excited to see another Aussie here. This is a great friendly and knowledgeable site. I have learnt enough now that I feel confident to proceed with the WFO. Mind you I have spent hours and hours reading .....laughing .....and being in awe !!!!!
              We were going to try and have the boxing done for the slab this weekend, but this weather is crap ! And it doesn't look like clearing for the weekend either......bugger
              Have fun matey and I,ll see you round.
              Cheers Lee

Comment

Salv, if you have not yet figured it out, the "awe" part of what Nodoubt said is an understatement! As you spend more time searching around the forum and looking at what some of these people have done it will just blow you away!
                Travis
                TravisNTexas

Comment

Hi Salv, if you are looking for insulating blanket or board, castable insulation, loose vermiculite or fireclay you can get them all at Thermal Ceramics in Beverley. They are very helpful too! I think Neil has a bag of fireclay and some firebricks still for sale as well: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f40/...able-5361.html
                  Last edited by Tim F; 11-20-2008, 09:12 PM.
                  My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
                  My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

Hi Salv,
                    and like the rest of the respondents, welcome aboard.
                    Just thinking and I recon that Adelaide hosts at least 9 or more forum members.
                    We certainly do have an energetic and enthusiastic group either planning to build, building, or like myself completed their Pompeii ovens.
                    What part of Adelaide do you live?
                    Please feel free to contact me once you have read my build and plenty of other postings to give you assistance and advice to ensure you will be happy with your build.

Cheers.

Neill
                    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                    Neill’s kitchen underway
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

It's great to hear from the Aussies on the site, including a couple form Adelaide.

Les - I was hoping to finish boxing up the slab on the weekend and maybe even pour the cement but other commitments (kids!) got in the way. You and Travis are right about how awsemone some of the builds are - I have writing down plenty of ideas and am still working out how it will end up. Good luck with your build and I'm sure I will keep updated on your progress.

Tim - Thanks for the welcome and the tips- I will keep them in mind.

Likewise, Neill thanks for the welcome and the offer of help - once I get stuck into it I'm sure there will be areas I need help in. Re your question - I am in Norwood.

Cheers

Salv
                      Salv

Comment

Welcome to the site, it is great to see more and more aussies hanging about. It also seems that there are quite a few from down south.

Cheers
                        James
                        Real men cook with fire
                        My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Hi James,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, the Aussie contingent seems to be growing daily. We have pretty good weather that lets us spend time outdoors.
                          I am just starting my build and have been reading the site every day for 3 or 4months. Plenty of great info. I will actually be pouring the concrete slab on Friday if I can get my Dad to come around and help. What stage are you at?

Cheers

Salv
                          Salv

Comment

still reasearching at the moment but as part of some renovations early next year we plan to build a deck with an outdoor kitchen in one corner, which will house a wood fired oven and if i can work out a sound design it will have an outdoor fireplace underneith it.
                            Real men cook with fire
                            My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Hi Salv, Neill, Tim & others;

I'm also from Adelaide and at St. Georges, not far from Norwood. Thanks for the information on Thermal Ceramics, I didn't know about them but will have a look. I bought 2nd fire bricks from Littlehampton Brickworks at $3 each. I had to pick over the pallets but the ones I got look very good.

I'm a newby & just starting out so picking everyones brains and reading all I can. Thanks for the info you guys all put on the site; this would have to be the best site on this subject in the world and it's fantastic to see all the different styles and ideas from around the globe. Now I'm starting to waffle on so I will say bye for now.

Cheers, Benny

Comment

Working...
                              X