New Guy Here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Guy Here!!

Les, by the way- how does the heat feel on the outside of your dome when she's burning hot? Can you hold your hand against it?

Comment

John,

In regard to the heat, before insulation, it was damn hot! I drew this out on CAD and traced it onto wodden templates to get the wedge shape. The side angle was a little more tricky. I used shims to set the angle. I you had a compond saw, it would make this a piece of cake. I bought the Harbor Freight saw - it did get the job done. You can borrow it if you need one.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les, maybe I can make the footprint 38" or so? I think I have the skill sets to do a rectangular arched oven, maybe not a circular, though... If your footprint were smaller in yours, do you think it would be too small for cooking, etc?

By the way, roughly how many hours did you end up putting into constructing your masterpiece? Thanks...

Comment

A rectangular oven is a different beast (Allen Scott). I think I would go with a smaller footprint and keep the benefit of this type oven. People have built smaller and have been happy - FB sells smaller ovens, so I am sure they serve the purpose. When I look into mine, at times, I think it is too big. But you never know, you might get the urge to cook a whole cow.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I think I have the skill sets to do a rectangular arched oven, maybe not a circular, though...
            We keep hearing that barrel vaults are easier to build than domes. Since you don't need subsidiary vaulting to keep that almost flat ceiling up, it seems to me that the dome wins hands down, particularly if you don't go crazy with custom cuts.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

dmun,
              after reviewing your geodesic oven project I am honored you would even waste your precious talented time to engage with a non-oven building hack like myself. Thanks for your input and I can only say you are definitely out of your tree- and God Bless you for it!! What an amazing project- so unique, labor-intensive, and most of all original!!! Good for you!

Thanks again, stay in touch- I hope to post my own project (although nowhere NEAR yours) on here some day!

Comment

Les, after reading about the cooking advantages for pizza & bread with the round dome shape I believe I will be taking the "leap" and going with a dome like yours over the rectangular bread oven. Wish me luck...

Comment

beckj, most all of us were non oven builders to begin with, some had/have some skills not necessarily associated with oven buidling but helpful in the process. Oven building is not rocket science (although we have a member or two who claim to be rocket scientists). Physically demanding at times and very tedious as well, but not out of scope for anyone who at least considers themself marginally handy. Good planning, the right materials, and a desire for great pizza are enough to carry you through. It doesn't need to be perfect - just stay up, be well insulated, and large enough to hold a pizza.

RT

Comment

Thanks RTFlorida, I appreciate the pep talk. I am approaching this like other masonry projects I have tackled (pavers, concrete, etc) and am doing plenty of research, and most importantly- talking to folks like yourself as much as possible. Nice to have forums like this where it seems like people jump in looking to help!

Talk to you soon!

Comment

Working...
                    X