hello from south australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from south australia

hello people my name is richard i am new to site i do not have a WFO as yet but i have made the pizza dough and made several pizzas in my gas oven at home they were better than shop bought or PIZZA H RUBBISH .
    I would like to build an economic oven in my yard pompii oven is where i am heading to have acess to brick saw and bricking tools but i would like a set of plans ? or a drawings can any one help here are they free ? would any one like to share a set ? i like to keep the building simple .
    i have been looking around the site and i like what i see i would like to find plans but havent as yet can you help.
    thanks richard

Re: hello from south australia

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. The standard set of pompeii oven plans are available on the Forno Bravo store site under e-books category. You have to register for that site independently from this forum. It "feels" like you are buying them, but the cost is free, and after you purchase them you get an email with a link to follow to go download them.

Here is the link to go get them Pompeii Oven Plans

Once you have those, and start looking around here, you will discover that the plans are normally used more as a set of general guidelines and you can figure out what exactly you want yours to end up looking like.

Good luck,
    Travis
    TravisNTexas

Comment

thanks travis your on the money there got the ebook and i am impressed i see what you mean use them as a guide as the ratio of dimentions were what i needed to build with .
      i have decided to go with the 42" one .i have seen one of these about 15 years ago in an italian friends yard built buy his brother from italy when he was on holidays he used stock fire bricks for the base and hallet solid cream pavers for the dome and sides .he built the form from sticks and paper mashay well wet paper ? dont know how that worked but it was a very fine oven he even used to smoke his salami with it via the flue vent as you could open it and hang the salami inside on rods ? again ??? how i do not know but the pizza, bread ,roasted capsicums and egg plant was beautifull even the biscotti's were the best.
      i do not want to go that fancy but i need mine to look like a master piece as it will be front and centre off my deck .
      i am collecting and storing my bricks now and once i have enough to build the base and slab i will start it but not untill autum.
      richard
      Last edited by dickydiedoe; 12-02-2008, 10:42 PM. Reason: spellig and grammer needed adjusting LoL

Comment

Yeh, welcome aboard Richard,
        good to see and other Aussie on board and eager to go.
        There are a multitude of ideas, in fact often too much to digest but at least has a great source for ideas and answers.
        Where abouts in Australia are you located?
        There are plenty of suppliers, some with great products and unbelievable support.
        I built my 40" Pompeii some 18 months ago and you may want to read through my build, complete with pics and tips.

Cheers
        Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

yes hello there i am in port pirie south australia
          i am after a good sourse for some fire clay and that funny hard to pronounce concreat stuff for under the base ? and to use for insulating between the dome and dress wall?
          richard

Comment

One of the best places is here in Adelaide, just around the corner from the basketball stadium at Beverly called :

Address: 10 Toogood Ave, Beverley, SA, 5009
            Phone Number: (08) 82435300.
            Very helpful people.
            They don't have firebricks but I'd use the 4" brick pavers from Littlehampton Brick works for the build. They are fired at 1200˚C and will perform marvellously without the high price they charge for firebricks here in Australia.
            Tim is building his at the moment and is already curing his dome.
            Thermal Ceramics also have Vermiculite and make a great super blanket. I think they have a little fireclay left but are not going to handle it in the future. I have 2 spare bags but only used 3/4 of a bag on my build.
            Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

great neill
              thanks for the info will put it in my address book .
              do you think i would need any fire clay at all or could it be done without it?
              is vermiculite expensive per bag ,kilo ,?
              spoke with little hampton bricks as soon as i said pizza oven they knew what i needed without even thinking (i think every one goes there to get there wfo bricks) just between me and you LoL
              i found a great flu liner at my father inlaws it is an new (but old style) terracotta sewage pipe about 1 metre long .what do you think ? 6" round ID .
              r u in adelaide as well i would like to see some built ovens for a touch and feel (the oven that is) as it is good to have a plan for a guid but monkey see monkey do also helps with the big picture.
              richard

Comment

Hi there Richard,
                This forum is a wealthy of great information and wonderful informative people. There is nothing they can't help you with. I have lost many hours wandering around checking out peoples builds, changing my mind numerous time ..lol
                Goodluck with your build and looking forward to watching your progress. Love the idea of smoking salami in the chimney vent.
                Cheers Lee

Comment

Richard,
                  Yes, I am in Adelaide at Flagstaff Hill.
                  You can send me an email and welcome to come up on sunday for a pizza lunch so you can not only touch but experience an oven.
                  Look, weith your mortar, you can buy and use the expensive "superior" adhesive but you will need 2 types if you have larger than say 3mm gaps, or you can use the 'poor mans mortar' as I did which is 1 Portland : 1 lime : 1 fireclay : 3 sand. After all, the old Italian ovens were built some hundreds of years ago without even the Portland cement and they are still standing.
                  Look,
                  if I was building an oven/kiln wherte I was melting steel and having really high temps, then I would use the top shelf materials , but not necessary for pizza ovens.
                  It is wholly up to you and the depth of your pocket!
                  Again., don't waste your time with a 6" earthenware sewer pipe, it will be somewhat less than 6" internal and it won't cope with the smoke/heat from your oven on firing. There is a thread here which calculates the chimney diameters and their efficiency.
                  I have a 40" oven with 3 lengths of 8" galvanised flue and it draws great. I have never seen smoke out of my front arch.
                  I can't remember off the top of my head what the vermiculite cost but I think it is around $25 for a 100 litre bag.
                  I used around 5 to 6 bags for the hearth 3" and dome 3x1" layers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Hi My name is Travis, I also live in Adelaide. I just registered and very keen to build an oven over the next couple of months. I just tried to download the pompeii oven plans, but it would not accept as I do not live in America.
                    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
                    I would love to get my hands on a copy of the oven plans, so I can start planning.
                    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hello Travis,
                      This is a bug in the software that we have fixed. Sorry about that. I have emailed the eBook to you for now.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

trav and jodie not a problem mate
                        even though you are registered with the forum you are not registered with the forno shop so where it says login on the shop your forno forum will not work .so you need to register with the shop part as well .just use the same user name and password you have for the forum and register with the shop .it took me 3 goes before i relized this was the case .and then i read it someware in the forum.once you have done that and completed the checkout you will get an email with a link on it click there wait then download and save it in your docs .you will need adobe reader but you probably already have that anyways.
                        richard
                        Last edited by dickydiedoe; 12-04-2008, 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling and more info

Comment

Travis and Jodie,
                          welcome aboard to another Adelaidian.
                          I now have 13 forum members from this wonderful city of ours who contribute (or have so in the last year, including Hendo).
                          I am just killing time waiting for Tim
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...days-5283.html
                          to arrive so that we can fold and weld up his vent.
                          Please feel free to contact us for any advice or help with your oven planning and build.
                          There are many members sitting back wanting to help as well as being helped through various planning, construction or in my case baking questions.
                          What part of Adelaide are you from? As there may be other members close handy.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Working...
                          X