Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to forum

Hey all
    New to forum, trying to learn all the ins and outs of oven building before we try it on our own, have been looking at all the info and not having brick laying experience is kind of daunting but willing to give it a go anyway, will be gathering all the info from pictures and comments from all that have gone before us.
    Dezi

Re: new to forum

Hi
    Glad to see more southerners! Looks like there are several ovens going up in Florida now. There are some smart, helpful people on the Forno Bravo Forum. We started one in Georgia a couple weeks ago. I don't know anyone who has one, so pretty much all the information we have came from this group. Looks like there are several ovens going up in Florida now. There are some smart, helpful people here. Post lots of pictures. Good luck!
    Bonita
    Bonita

Comment

Yes, go for it Dezi,
      a lot of planning, a bit of hard work and a lifetime of enjoyment.
      But beware though, it is contagious and will cost you heaps. The oven is quite inexpensive, but the outdoor kitchen and the entertaining the host of friends and relatives will be ongoing.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I am new myself and read a lot of posts before starting my project. There is a lot of information here from very knowledgable, skilled and helpful people. I couldn't imagine doing my project without the information I found here.
        My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Hi! My question is, how does one know which brick is right? (except fireplace brick) I have refractory brick, (hard and brittle) It doesn't take the thermal shock of firing the oven well, example everywhere I moved the fire in the oven it spauled the floor and cracked the brick, what a mess. I had 22 inch by 2and1/2 inch brick for the floor. I am now layering it with split firebrick after replacing the floor. Will this work? I need expert advice, I also opened a crack in the dome. It looks like I had expansion and got 1/2 inch zig zag top to almost bottom. I just remortered it. i joined the forum 5/8 of the way finished, waiting for my 5th post to get the pics out.

Comment

If its worth doing you might as well do it twice? YA RIGHT

Comment

I have refractory brick, (hard and brittle) It doesn't take the thermal shock of firing the oven well
              22 by 2 1/2 inches? Is is some kind of refractory tile? It shouldn't spall like that. Where did it come from?

What kind of mortar are you using?
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I am using a high temp refactory cement mixed with sand a little lime

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dezi. You have come to the right place There are a ton of very experienced people here who have built ovens, quite a few with ovens just started or in varying stages of completeness, and a bunch like me that are still planning and just getting started. And everybody will help with any question you have. I think you will like it here.

Travis
                  TravisNTexas

Comment

Roncut,

I would expect that any grade refractory brick (or even tile for that matter) would take temperature cycling without spalling unless the temperature change was more of a shock (very rapid heating or cooling, like drenching in water or something). Post a few more times so you can include pictures!

Travis
                    TravisNTexas

Comment

hi dezi

also new here, can't wait to start

Comment

Hi back from Ron I have mine complete except for the front shelf or mantel. I am waiting for warmer weather to fire it up again, it is in the 20 degrees here.

Comment

Working...
                        X