I'm in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in!

After collecting info for two months, I've finally started. I feel like Nikki, having built my oven a dozen times in my head. It does seem that since I don't have plans, I am changing as I go. Two weekends ago I poured the slab and this Saturday we built the hearth. As you can see from the pix I had to build into a slope, and the decomposed granite has not yet decomposed. Thanks to all (especially Les) for your help so far, and I'm sure I will have a lot more questions.

Mark

Re: I'm in!

Hooray, it's begun! The stand alredy looks marvelous and finished. It's going to look really great nestled into the hillside as well. Is that a seating area I see to the right of the oven?
    Nikki

Comment

Thanks Nikki. Yea it is a seating area around the firepit. I will post pix of it later, right now its covered in my extra block. I have been following your build, looks great and I am really jealous at your speed. I have a few other projects going so mine will be slow I'm afraid.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by exceloven View Post
        I had to build into a slope, and the decomposed granite has not yet decomposed.
        That does not sound like fun Are those scrape marks from your Pick? The good news - that puppy isn't going anywhere!

Les...
        Last edited by Les; 12-01-2008, 03:40 PM.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hey Les,
          Those are jackhammer scrapes. A pick would just bounce off. It horrible stuff to work with, but you are right its not going anywhere. Thanks for the reply.
          Mark

Comment

Looks like you're off to a great start!
            - Daren
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Nice looking stand!! You have a great start.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks Ken, I have alot of your pix bookmarked for reference. You and Les have set the bar very high for quality standards. I hope to get close!

Mark

Comment

This looks very interesting. Do you know how you're going to incorporate the oven in the hillside, or is that still part of the ongoing planning?

The situation you have there reminds me a bit of an oven that was going to be covered with earth and have plants growing on top - don't think there were ever any pics of the finished oven though. I thought the idea was cool though.
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

It looks great Mark! Very nice work. Your granite may have been a pain to jackhammer out, but WOW what a base for an oven I am trying to figure out how to build on black Texas clay without it someday sinking or floating away

Great start and look forward to watching the rest of the build.

Travis
                    TravisNTexas

Comment

Frances, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how I am going to deal with the back of the oven. Right now I'm thinking of possibly putting a few rows of block to act as a retaining wall in the back and tile it in front for a backsplash look. I am going to move my build thread to the Pompeii section unders "Mark's WFO. Thanks to all for the comments and help so far.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X