curious, ambitious, foolhardy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious, ambitious, foolhardy...

... probably the first three words that come to mind when I think about attempting this sort of project... and I'm glad to find myself in the company of so many like-minded fools! :

Seriously, though, I am amazed by the creativity and skill, and grateful for this amazing community. It is giving me the inspiration to actually begin this thing.

I am a part-time community college instructor and, since last January, a full-time dad. My wife and I just bought an older (1920's) brick home in California, and are dreaming up a big project for the spring. Our yard is small, but has enough room for an oven and maybe even a small outdoor kitchen if we get really ambitious.

Hopefully, all things permitting, we will be able to get the ball rolling soon. I figure that I'll spend the winter making plans, reading up, learning as much as I can about the subject before diving in so that this spring when things start to dry out we can get going.
    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Re: curious, ambitious, foolhardy...

Welcome to the forum...glad to have you a member. We're here to help!
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Hah, hah. I think the first few guys who built the Pompeii Oven might have been foolhardy, but now, I think we are safely into the "obsessive" territory. :-)

You're going to have way too much fun.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Where in California are you? If your close to any of us that have ovens, you can come by and take a look!

It's not as hard as it looks...I think most of us are total novices- you can do it!
        Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

I'm in Sacramento.

We're far enough away from fault zones that we're relatively (knock on wood) confident about living in a brick house. Once we moved in, my wife and I both figured that, with our mutual love of pizza and fresh bread and our new outdoor decor, a wood-fired oven was inevitable.

And, can you believe my luck, she was actually the one who suggested the idea?
          -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Welcome! I didn't do the Pompei, cut bricks method but bought a Casa 100 and put the stuff around the outside. I am still obsessed with my oven and smile every time I go in the back yard. Hope you will enjoy the journey as much as we all have.

Comment

Cynon... you better hang on to that woman! Of course, she'll really prove herself if she gets out there and helps!

Be sure to dowload the free instructions on this site...it really walks you through step by step. Good luck!
              Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Cynon, you have no idea what a great ride you're in for! Let us know what we can do. Breven is right - the only thing I'd ever done with a brick was walk on it until I started my oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Breven View Post
                  Cynon... you better hang on to that woman! Of course, she'll really prove herself if she gets out there and helps!
                  I'm with Breven... sounds like a keeper!

Welcome aboard Cynon and fellow Saramentian. My oven was finished last Jan. and my whole family just loves it. We have learned that there is practically nothing it can't handle.

Thanksgiving dinner was a comparitive "breeze" with an extra oven. Fact is, I believe we only used the kitchen one to keep my sisters sweet potatoes warm. We cooked all the food outside...WFO style.

And like Breven said, download the oven plans and start from there. I may have some helpful tips, but I definatly have a great place to get firebricks.

We live near Sac State in College Greens. You and your family are welcome any time to come check out the oven, or better yet, see it in action.

dusty

Comment

Working...
                  X