Hi from Northern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Northern California

I am researching my wood fired oven and thought this was a great place to read and ask questions.

I already have a brick barbecue and want to add the oven to it.

I hope to glean much information here and share in the delights of a wood fired oven!

Ellie

Re: Hi from Northern California

Hey!
    Welcome Ellie. You are right on the mark...this is a fantastic place for questions and research. Your outdoor kitchen looks great. That big smoker-looking thing looks WAY cool. But something is definatly missing.
    We have a wood fired oven in Sacramento and we love it. It, right now, contains my wife's famous "spinich and ricotta cheese" calzones. Last I looked they seemed done but were not brown yet.
    Gotta go check again.
    Look forward to helping any way we can.

dusty

Comment

Ellie,

How far can you grow your island to the left (referring to the pic). If you have around 5 foot, you are golden. Personally, I would like the oven in the center (just my own opinion on aesthetics). Tearing out what you have in place would be a shame - looks great! Bring on any questions - someone on the planet should have an answer. BTW, how far North are you in Cal?

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, I would like to start in center for the wfo but alas, gas lines, etc. are too much in the way.

Now, I have 4-5 ft. to the left of the island that I can build but only 26" for width. Would this be enough?

Thanks.
        Ellie

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
          Now, I have 4-5 ft. to the left of the island that I can build but only 26" for width. Would this be enough?

Thanks.
          Ellie
          26" would be tight...any chance you could pour an extension on that slab backward?...would that give you some more room?
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I cannot go backwards except for maybe 12 -15 inches. I will have to measure tonight. What would be the ideal measurements? Y'all can save me a little time in my research!

There is already cement back there, but it is a walkway so I can only use part of it.

Let me know what you think is an ideal measurement and I will get the ole tape out tonight and report back.

Thanks,
            Ellie

Comment

Ellie
              Measure and see what you can get...what is important is to really know what is the most you can work with and then we can kind of get a scale...insulation and the thickness of the thermal mass is what is the key....insulation is the MOST important so let's see what we can work with
              We're here to help!
              Best
              Dutch
              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post

There is already cement back there, but it is a walkway so I can only use part of it.
                Ellie,

I asked earlier what part of N. cal you were in. If it freezes - you do not want your oven sitting on a 4 inch thick sidewalk. In regard to 26 inches of depth - that's not going to cut it for an oven -sorry. Gas lines, water, and wire is an easy thing to move. Waste lines are a bit more of a pain.

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Waste lines are a bit more of a pain.
                  Unless they're plastic. PVC waste lines are one of mankind's greatest advancements; can you imagine messing around with cast iron and lead anymore?

On your original topic: Ovens are big and heavy. There is no getting around this simple fact. I squeezed a 36 inch oven into a sixty inch square, and it was tight. I would give myself more space for the same oven if I did it again. You may want to look at your space and think about where you could lay out a big square without getting in the way of anything, rather than think about where you could squeeze it into your existing kitchen layout. A little planning at this point will save you many headaches later.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You are all right. I am near Redding, Ca. by the way. Very little freezing. I went outside after work last night and measured, and there just isn't enough room to do it right. I have a 10x13 slab that I had poured a few years ago. Nothing in it and a gazebo over it. Now, it looks like I should make my plans to have it there with some accessories, like a place to put my dutch oven, etc. Boy, this is going to be fun!! Now I have lots of room.

Ellie

Comment

Hi Ellie and welcome aboard (from the land of Aus),
                      could you draw a 'plan' or post pics of the area and available area, relative to your 'fixed' and unchangeable points such as house, boundaries etc. Who knows, we might even be able to get a mobile one in for you!
                      As they say, many hands make lite work - or is that an electrician talking!
                      You have gone to an enormous trouble to get where you are. It is a pity that you didn't fall across the forum before building your outdoor entertaining area.
                      When I first saw it, it reminded me of Hendo's oven, see:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/he...es-3902-2.html

permalink #16.
                      You obviously want to do it properly and there are plenty of ideas floating around this forum.

Neill
                      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                      Neill’s kitchen underway
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill, that is really cool. I had the outdoor kitchen built 12 years ago and never even thought of a wfo at the time.

I've decided to go ahead and figure up something out where I have the 10X13 slab already there. It is just too tight here by the barbecue. It is not too far from the house and I want to put a wood/charcoal gril on the right, wfo in the center, and dutch oven place to the left.

I am sure I will have lots of questions as I go and try to post them in the appropriate places.

Ellie

Comment

Yes Ellie,
                          Hendos is well planned out and he had great intentions with deep frier, the works for his dream outdoor kitchen.
                          However, mother nature is cruel at times and took his life before he could finish it. It is now up to me and his brickie friend Dallas, to finish it for his widow and family.
                          Might I suggest that you draw up a plan (to scale or at least accurate proportions) of your existing facilities, scan it and post it on this thread and I will (I dare say along with numerous other very interested and helpful members), look at some options or alternatives that could be considered. Hey, it's easier to choose when you have numerous options available to you.

Cheers.

neill
                          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                          Neill’s kitchen underway
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Well, I can sure make it easy for everyone. I have a 10x13 slab that is a blank slate as it were!! It now has a gazebo on it but I will have to take it down after I build and put a roof over the oven. I am out in the country and this slab is several yards from the house and near the chicken coop. I can take a picture of it if anyone is interested.

I don't have plans yet, just exploring. I can't wait to put them up though so you folks can jump in with any suggestions.

I cannot fathom how the widow and kids must feel, but I can imagine what a great friend you are to the family at this time. That is a most precious experience for them and I suspect you. Bravo!

Ellie

Comment

Here it is!

Ellie

Comment

Working...
                              X