New Pompeii Oven in Bellevue, WA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pompeii Oven in Bellevue, WA.

I?ve been planning on building by own pizza oven for about 3 years and finally commenced construction in October. I hope to have it complete at end of April.

A year ago when I started searching the web for resources Forno Bravo always came up as the best resource. I was originally going to install a Mugnaini oven, but love the design and challenge of building my own Pompeii oven. I?m quite certain that all my sweat equity will result in a better tasting pizza.

Now I am three months into my project and have just poured the sub-hearth last Sunday. During the winter months, work, daylight, and weather are my biggest obstacles. I have been stopped twice by snow! I look forward to longer days and brick work in the coming months. I?ve started posting progress photos of my work for all to enjoy and comment on.

Cheers,

Re: New Pompeii Oven in Bellevue, WA.

Looks most interesting, you sure went into alot of detail in constructing that wood storage area beneath the hearth. Do you have a light in there?
    I expect your oven will be one to watch this spring:-)
    Good Job!
    Wiley

Comment

After many weekends of diging, forming, and pouring cement, I now have a oven floor to work with. It was difficult getting it flat and avoid cracks. I now need to find time to keep going. $$work keeps getting in the way.

Comment

I'm sooo jealous JR that you actually have your bricks in the correct pattern on your base. I can't seem to commit to a vent landing depth, so I've got 270 firebrick in the garage and lots of measurements on paper and I feel like I've blown the whole weekend. Thanks for posting your pics, they help us all out. Good luck on the wfo build, Dino
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino, I also struggled with the floor and landing depth. I decided to let the bricks determine my landing by starting at the center with an intersection of bricks and working out from there. The front of the landing is then determined where a full brick ends. Check out the attached drawing. Good luck with yours.
          Cheers,
          Attached Files

Comment

comming along nicely
            sigpic

Comment

Ahhh?spring time in the great northwest! I started the day cutting the bricks for the seventh course, in the snow and sleet, and nearly got frost bite on my fingers. After they thawed, I went to watch some local rugby matches?also in the snow. Wish I was in Dubai for the World Cup 7?s.

Upon my return I mortared the seventh course into position. With the risk of below freezing temps tonight, I decided to put a small heater in the dome so that the H2O in the mortar doesn?t freeze before it has a chance to cure. I used some bubble foil insulation to seal the top and opening. I sure hope I chosen the correct action. If the weather doesn?t get any worse, I?ll put the 8th on tomorrow.

I?ve chosen not to mortar the outer opening arch way yet. I believe that it will be easier to reach in and complete the dome.

Comment

Looks great! Nothing like cutting bricks with ice cold fingers huh?

Good to see another NW oven rising from the dust. You'll be done in no time. Enjoy the suffering. It will soon be just a memory.
                G.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                X