X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie in FNQ (Near Cairns)

G'day.

I just joined today.

I downloaded the V1.2 plans a couple of days ago & have read a couple of books & several web pages on wood fired outdoor ovens.

Even before I found the plans for the Pompeii I was favouring a round brick dome with a flue.

I would like to build a High Vault Pompeii 42" oven.

I haven't finished reading the plans cover to cover yet but I have a few questions.

1. Are there any other builders in the Cairns area?

2. Where do I find some of the special items in Oz?
    Cliff.
    I have the plans, just looking for a clue.

Re: Aussie in FNQ (Near Cairns)

HI Cliff,

Good to see you here,

Not sure about other builders in Cairns area, but as far as building materials go have you tried Claypave in Brisbane?

Himzo.

Comment

G'day.

From WWF?

You posted in the thread I started there last year.

I have a link to ClavePave & I've found an agent for them in Cairns, just haven't had a chance to call in & see what they have.

I also found www.clayshed.com.au & downloaded the pages from their price list where they have a bit of stuff for building Kilns.
      (That site isn't working properly today)
      Cliff.

Comment

Yep from the WWF, I've been mainly lurking there of recent times.. the most wood work I've done recently is chopping wood for the fire. Lot's of things I want to do but have them on hold as we will be rebuilding the house shortly, an I want to make sure that what ever I build will fit in.

Just had a look at the Clayshed catalogue, the fire clay seems like it's a reasonable price... not sure about the bricks though...

When do you plan to start your oven?

Himzo.

Comment

All inspired again.

The pics I posted at WWF were from a trip to Tassie in March last year.
          We went down again in Feb this year for the Hobart Wooden Boat Festival. (You blokes have one at Goolwa this weekend I think)

Anyway, this time we turned out 4 large pizzas for 8 people. They were a real hit.

We have 10 acres high up in the hills behind Cairns & several 'reno' projects going on the house, garden & sheds.
          The pizza oven is high up on my list but "some one" has other ideas.
          Maybe if I start calling it an 'Outdoor Oven' it may get moved up a bit.

Anyway, I like the plans for the Pompeii high vault 42".
          It has suggested to me that I should make the dome using refractory castable & since bricks are not very popular item in FNQ & freight is a killer, I am considering the option, just trying to get my head around it at present.

I'm saving lots of photos in an 'ideas' folder.

The other thing holding up the start is that there is a rain-water tank sitting on the best place to build it.

We have a new larger tank & I am in the process of installing it in a different location so once that job is finished, I can remove the old tank & just start building.
          Cliff.

Comment

Claypave are also known as Rylance refractories. Good prices on firebricks and tiles. Dont have castables. Ask for kasey. The best range of products at good prices are from Refractory and Ceramics in Melbourne. Johnny the oven man ,from this forum, Phone no is 0417017799.

Comment

Working...
            X