the plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the plan

I am here in Bend Oregon and am planning my first outdoor brick/pizza oven. I wish to build it from scratch and use economical material. So any help would be great. Would a floor of 2" insulation board and then unmortared fire brick sufficient set on a concrete slab? Is a dome of mortared firebrick with an insulating blanket then chicken wire and coated with mortar mix sufficient? Should there be a ventilation gap or slot in front of the door on the floor beneath the chimmeny? I'll stop here and thank you for any of your time.

Re: the plan

KBH,

Welcome to the forum!

Lots to learn and read about with the whole WFO topic.

I live in Bend also, have an oven, and like to talk about most everything WFO.

Send me a private message if you want to stop by and look at this oven.

JED

Comment

Originally posted by kbh View Post
      I wish to build it from scratch and use economical material.
      Be sure to check out ASUDaveW's build. It's one of the more "economical" builds here. He did a nice job.
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html

Would a floor of 2" insulation board and then unmortared fire brick sufficient set on a concrete slab?
      Yes. That's what I did. Works great.

Is a dome of mortared firebrick with an insulating blanket then chicken wire and coated with mortar mix sufficient?
      I didn't do mine that way, but I think that's what folks are doing. If you haven't done so already, download the free plans available here:
      Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven
      You'll go through the motions of "buying" them in the store but you won't be charged.

Read them cover to cover 5 or 6 times. A lot of the information will start to come together for you.

Also, look at several build threads of the active members here. There are a bunch to look at that will show you every step start to finish. That's the best way to answer your mortar question.

Of course, we'll be more than happy to help you with any questions!

Welcome to the forum!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

thanks abunch for the great response, this sight is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
        X