Oven Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Door

Hi all, this is my first post as I am new to the site and indeed new to Outdoor Pizza Ovens. I've finally started my project in the UK and been looking at the plans and pictures that have been so helpuful.
    One question that i can't seem to find an answer to is 'does the oven need a door on the opening and if so any ideas of where I can get one?'
    For info, I'll be building a 32" oven. Many thanks for any help

Re: Oven Door

Pault99,

The oven door is not mandatory, however, in many situations your oven performance will dramatically improve with a door.

Any "fire in the oven" cooking can be done without the door.

With any other baking, you will be much more satisfied with the results if you use a door to help the oven maintain the stored heat.

If you are building your own oven, you will have to build your own door. The size of your door hole will probably be unique to your oven... The good news is that it is fun to build the door, along with the oven.

There are many threads on this forum that talk about building doors. There are several different basic designs; all seam to function (except the wood one that burned up...).

This link has a good discussion about doors, and is has a sample of a good door.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/oven-door-6581.html

Use the search function on this web page to find other discussions about doors... plenty to read, and a wealth of information..

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures!

JED

Comment

Paul,

I made mine out of aluminum - very easy to cut and shape. It's filled with vermiculite and held together with aluminum pop rivits (sold everywhere). It wasn't that hard to do and it works great?

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Jed & Les
        Very helpful indeed....I'll keep you posted as I progress. Laying the Insulating slab on Thursday so onwards and upwards

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
          Paul,

I made mine out of aluminum - very easy to cut and shape. It's filled with vermiculite and held together with aluminum pop rivits (sold everywhere). It wasn't that hard to do and it works great?

Les...
          Great looking door!

Comment

Les --
            That is one awesome door. Can you explain how you made it?
            I've been looking for someone who would TIG weld aluminum for me but the rivets look awesome.

Thanks!
            Vickie

Comment

Vicky,

I used the forms I had when I built the inside arch. Just traced it out on the sheet of aluminum and added around 3/4 inch (on each side) for overlap (I made a 1 inch reveal). The inside strip is the hard part. I cut many, many tabs, evenly spaced. Bending the tabs will be the toughest part unless you have access to a brake. After that I just formed the strip around the outside plates to get the shape. I drilled into the tabs and that is where the rivits went. In hind sight, I should have taken more pictures. Before I assembled it, I ran a bead of the high heat gasket adhesive so vermiculite wouldn't escape. Hope this makes sense.

Les...

Comment

Les,
                Thank you very much... that does make sense.

Just for a bit of clarification -- I understand the tabbed strip and the gasket adhesive. But did you almost built it completely and then peel a bit back to get the perlite inside?
                Or did you make a 'filler hole' and then patch it? I might be over thinking it, but metal isn't my thing...
                Thanks very much for the quick reply though!!

Comment

Actually, the strip is in two pieces. One being the top and sides, the other is the bottom. I filled it up, then put on the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                  X