Hello from Austin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Austin.

Hello everyone, Found this site while researching WFO's. I am going to be building one for a family member soon, Then hopefully one for me!

Just doing lots of reading right now, The site is full of info!
    -Ben

Re: Hello from Austin.

Welcome aboard Ben!

Always good to have another Hill Country WFO! There is a huge amount of good information and lessons of things done right and wrong. And...there are a lot of "from scratch" Pompeii ovens and faster precast ovens!

You have until at least September (and possibly October) before you want to work on this in the heat so take the next couple of months to get organized and "planned".

Where are you located in Austin?

Again...welcome aboard!
    Jay

Comment

After seeing many start to finish build threads(Been reading for 2 days, just registered), I am going to start from scratch and build a 36 inch Pompeii style oven, Most likely igloo style. With a Fire brick wood grill attached.

I am going to do massive planning in the coming months...

There are so many amazing ovens on this site! So much inspiration and ideas.

I am located in northwest Austin, Near Lake Travis.

Thanks for the welcome!
      Last edited by Miasma; 06-21-2009, 02:40 PM.
      -Ben

Comment

Hi Ben!

My daughter and son-in-law live not too far from you off of Parmer.

Sounds like you have a good plan. 36 inches is about as small as you want to go. As you can see when you scan the site you will probably have a running dialog throughout the construction! I did my WFO with a precast FB oven so I can't help you much with the Pompeii details but I have experience with both the base, igloo covering, and rock.

Look forward to hearing you have broken ground!
        Jay

Comment

Howdy and welcome from a fellow Texas builder.
          Wade Lively

Comment

Hello Ben,

I am in Austin too. I am just getting started myself. I poured my slab about a month ago and have been letting it cure. I am planning to go out today to buy the supplies for the stand and have them delivered so I can start this weekend.

David

Comment

Welcome are you in a burn ban now?

Comment

Yes, I am pretty sure there is a burn ban against open fires

Comment

Ben,

Welcome! I just joined and so far have poured the foundations for my outdoor kitchen counter and island. I'm ready to pour my 42" Pompeii foundation any day. I'm not from Texas but from the number of Longhorn coffee cups and t-shirts around the house (the kids swim competively and have been to Grand Prix meets at UT and Texas A&M) you'd think we are.

Besides the large volume of knowledge and experience here, one of the best things I've found is SketchUp. This free downloadable software lets you plan everything out ahead of time so you can maximize space and make design decisions before you ever break ground. It's easy to learn and let's you print out your sketches (plans) with dimensions to take outside and build.

Looking forward to watching your build!

John

Comment

Dimtex,
                    They let your oven go???? The cops stopped by and told me that I needed to not burn. I did not have a cap on so I did not gripe just snuffed it out. But now with the cap I should be good correct???

Comment

I'm still building my stand so right now its not a problem and with this heat I will take my time with construction.

Comment

Doing construction for myself I have come to rely on SketchUp for a while now lol.

And yeah there is a burn ban at the moment.

I have been working on the plans alot, And it is really coming together in the design area(It is going in poolside). We have also decided to go with the 42 inch oven instead.
                        And so far if this works out well I may have a few more people wanting me to build them one... Sweet?!
                        -Ben

Comment

Hi Ben!

I like larger ovens for pizza. They can IMO be a bit challenging for bread (for they need too many loaves to make great crust UNLESS you like doing LARGE batches). The 42 is a great size.

Good Luck!
                          Jay

Comment

I am building a 36 inch oven. I put the concrete blocks up this week and have been pouring cores in the morning, a few at a time. I want to finish by Saturday so I can start framing for the hearth on Sunday morning. I live near the 360 bridge.

David

Comment

Greeting fellow Texans! It seems there are quite a few of us building around Austin. I am just getting ready to pour the insulating layer; got the vermiculite today at lunchtime.

Hope your projects are going well.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                              X