jakers new to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jakers new to the forum

I'm new to the forum because I'm building my own FB pizza oven and I might need some help.

my first question is how do I build the form out of styrofoam for the dome?

Re: jakers new to the forum

Buy a sheet of the cheapest 1/2 inch thick Styrofoam you can find.

Make a cardboard template of a cross section of your dome. I recommend an elliptical dome with the height being 90% of the radius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UD8h...eature=related

Use the template to trace out a section of the foam. Once your ring of soldier bricks is in place, stand this piece in the oven. The soldier bricks will help it stand.

Fold template in half and fold back the resulting edge 1 inch or so.

Use this to mark and cut "leaves" and stand in the oven, again using the soldier brick ring as a guide. Continue on, placing leaves in a ring at 1/8 points or so, or until you run out of Styrofoam.

I cut a 4 inch hole in each leaf to facilitate curing and ventilation during construction.

See photo:
    Last edited by Neil2; 07-20-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much, it sounds very simple after you explained it.

Comment

I went with no forms and found it quite easy as log as you have time to wait for each brick to set harh enough to set the next. If you have a length of wood measured to the right lenght and use this for the whole build, your oven will be just fine and you can clean as you go. have fun building and take your time.

Comment

Thank you for the reply , how long do you have to hold up each brick? I mean can you do a whole row of bricks in one day or two? And do you hold the brick up with a stick or is it a measuring device?

Thank You
          Jakers

Comment

Jakers,

I used Refmix, and even on the last course I only needed to wait about 60 seconds on each brick before moving my guide/support. Once the refmix hits brick (even soaked brick), the water seems to just drain away.

I used the 3:1:1:1 homebrew mortar for my transition to the chimney. It seemed to be more slippery and plasticy than the Refmix. (Consequently, it spread easier to my surprise.) I have a feeling the homebrew on the dome would have required more "support time" on each brick.
            -David

Comment

David,

I like your rotating brick support do you have any pictures of how that was built?

Jakers

Comment

Jakers,

My 2nd post in my build thread shows the best picture I have of the rotating vane. It worked, but was a bit troublesome. The spinning disk would freeze up due to changes in humidity and due to soaking up some water from clean-up operations. If I had to do it again, I would put a pin in the bottom of the vane that would fit into a hole in the center of the disk. A drill bit would work as the pin; just drill in and leave the bit. That way only the vane would rotate and not the entire disk.
                -David

Comment

Thre are lots of ways to hold the bricks and the time each one takes depends a lot on the mortar and the weather. I don't like wasting time or money so I just used scrap timber held with clamps as adjustable supports. It doesn't much matter what you use on the way, only that you enjoy your build and get the dome as round as you can. I am really happy with the way my dome has turned up and I am nearly finished my entry now so it is getting close to having a fire.

Comment

i used a plywood form, worked very well, Burned it out after... Good luck on your choice and welcome to a new addicition >>>>>
                    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Thank you it looks good, and I am getting addicted to this site. I thought I had it down till I saw some of fb beautiful ovens on this sight.

Thank you
                      Jakers

Comment

Working...
                      X