confused in Pittsburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused in Pittsburgh

I need some hlep with the building of my oven. I am building it inside my basement and have a few questions about the flue and how to vent it. Could anyone out there help?

Re: confused in Pittsburgh

If you're building your oven inside your house, your chimney will have to meet local building codes. This involves having a flue tile lined masonry chimney, which will have to meet clearance to combustibles rules (2") on every side, every time it passes a floor, ceiling, or roof. You can also use a stainless insulated flue system, but depending on the height of your house, this could involve an even greater expense. There are people who have tied an indoor oven into an existing flue, but it has to be the correct size (8 x 8), safe for wood combustion, and close enough to the oven to avoid a horizontal run.

In any event your building department will have the final say.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

To add a little to what Dmun has already explained, you can use Duravent to safely vent a wood oven inside a home. It is a UL103 listed double wall chimney system for solid fuel appliances -- including wood ovens. You can get an idea of pricing by checking the Installation Accessories section of the FB Store. When you install it according to their instructions, the Duravent system meets all building codes -- including limitations on angles, sections of angled pipe, pipe setbacks from combustibles and the distance from the top of the chimney to anything combustible. It isn't rocket science, but you have to buy the right stuff and follow the rules.

I hope that helps.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by meranteboys@comcast.net View Post
        I need some hlep with the building of my oven. I am building it inside my basement and have a few questions about the flue and how to vent it. Could anyone out there help?
        I have a 30' foot draw from my basement to the chimney top. thanks soooo much for the useful information. If you have any ideas about the 30' length please let me know. Domenica

Comment

Working...
        X