Hello from Calgary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Calgary

Hey guys, just stumbled upon this site and have found it to be a great tool for research. Thanks for the info and with any luck I'll be starting an oven in the spring!

Re: Hello from Calgary

You expect spring in Calgary? We haven't even had summer yet here

Welcome to another Canadian!

Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Hey, another hello from Calgary,
      Just joined this site, it's great...
      I?ve been itching to build an oven for a while; it must be embedded in the Italian DNA, which I am a proud possessor of. My Dad in Argentina has built one, years ago, and we use it not only for bread or pizza, but amazing BBQ?s, beef racks, half a pig, lamb etc. The size is pretty descent, but I?m going to go for a smaller (entry level) oven. I am still trying to find out where to buy clay or refractory mortars and bricks..
      Bezz, have you had any luck on this? Where did you get your materials from?
      Thank you in advance..
      Carlos

Comment

Are you planning to cook pancakes in it ?

Comment

Oh no, we're big meat eaters, so more like a beef half rack of ribs, half a lamb or pig... I'm thinking on a Russian type of oven, long and narrow..

Comment

I-XL Masonry | Home

I just purchased everything i need from these guys ...I'll be building one in the next month or so..they are located in the S.E.

Comment

Aha! Their name came up during my search but didn't know if they would sell small amounts.. they sounded like a wholesale type of shop.
              Thanks for your note, my search is over!! I’ll drop by their location this week..

Comment

Bezz, Calyponte, Cefacibey,

How goes your builds?
                If you are interested, I found some large bags of Caputo flour at the Italian Market on Edmonton Trail and about 20th St. It is not on the shelves, but in the back room. They have not put it out because the shipment came in past its best before date. Flour keeps forever if it is stored properly so I don't think the best before date is an issue. They also have San Marzano Tomatos. Ask for Marco. If the best before date bothers you, have a look around, you will find small bags of 00 flour, but a different brand.
                I also found Mozza de Buffa at Springbank Cheese, watch the best before dates though.
                I live in Cochrane and built my oven last year. Still not finished as I still need to stucco the outside... next year country now. Makes great pizzas, roasts, turkeys, roasted apples, etc. It has become the talk of the neighborhood.
                Last edited by Spunkoid; 11-16-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Hey Calyponte, did you require any building permit for the oven? did you do it outside?

Comment

Have you guys done your ovens? Did you have to get a permit? I built an Argentine brick BBQ and now I want more, so planning to build a pizza oven beside it. I'd like to get some feedback from you.
                    Last edited by Pancho1976; 10-06-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Hi guys, How long did it take to get built? do you use it in the fall?

Comment

Working...
                      X