Questions about Grilled Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Grilled Pizza

Hi, I consider myself a master of the Chicago style stuff crust pizza. However, I have been seeking to broaden my horizons and master the grilled thin or thick crust pizza. I refuse to buy a gas grill so I use charcoal and woodchip charcoal. My question is "Can I place my pizza stone on the charcoal grill (it says not to on the box) or would I be better off using bricks (placing bricks on the charcoal grill grates) ?

Re: Questions about Grilled Pizza

Check out this thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f24/...izza-1511.html
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

There are many excellent recipes for grilling pizza right on the grate, with no stone. I'd search the web for some. Here is one that always has turned out great for us

Grilled Pizza with Spicy Italian Sausage Recipe at Epicurious.com

I would also refer to Peter Reinhart's book "American Pie", where he describes grilled pizza in detail.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

I ditto Mike! Buy "American Pie" by Reinhart. With experience you can do about any pizza dough on a grill but his grill dough is particularly easy to learn on. Also some outstanding recipes.

Charcoal is better than gas IMO. You will make some amazing pies. It is easier if you have a VERY LARGE grill or two grills so you can have a hot side for toasting the crust and a cooler side for finishing the toppings. Only limit is that the toppings won't usually get the pretty speckled finish we like on our WFOs.

Good Luck! Let us know how you do! (I love grilled pizza too - its different!)
        Jay

Comment

Thanks guys. I love this website. I think about making pizza a lot haha. Now I can talk with experts. My gf is going to lollapalooza all weekend which means it will be me, my flour, the grill, and some good beer. I saw an excellent youtube video where a guy used bricks on top of the grill and slide his thick crust pizza right on the bricks. I'm going to try that first. I'll post pics and let you know how it turns out. I read some things about spraying water. Should I spray water inside the lid of the grill? Oh and I'm getting my peel tonight!

Comment

I saw the topic and had to put in my two cents because...well, i love grilled pizza, or any type of flat bread for that matter. It's surprising how differnet bread cooked over a grill is from bread baked in an oven. In my opinion, if you're going to grill anything, natural chunk charcoal is the way to go. it burns a little faster, but the flavor is superior. It does feel a little weird putting raw dough on a grill for the first time, but if you take a rag and wipe the grate down with vegtable oil, you sholdn't have any problems flipping or removing your bread. As far as spraying water goes, water is used in baking to give loaves of bread a crisp crust. I wouldn't worry about doing this on a grill seeing as the pizza or flat bread cooks too fast to really benefit from this technique.

Comment

Spraying water has NOTHING to do with grilling pizza. Save your water for your shower!

Comment

Timmy,
                Have a look at this one, too: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/...izza-7588.html
                Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Working...
                X