Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Glasgow - Scotland

Hi Guys,

Ever since my wife seen Jamie Oliver cooking outside in his oven her heart has been set on doing the same. OK - admitedly Glasgow weather is not renound for glorious sunshine but after some research i came accross your site and am in awe of the fantastic builds. We have decided to atempt to build a 36" Pompeii oven and have located a good spot in our back garden. At present i am researching and reading all your advice and tips. I have not started a thing although plan to get moving on pricing and procuring materials asap and get started. I am looking for any advice, (particulary from any north uk members????), who can advise on supplies and where is best to locate and purchase. Could i be the first crazy Scotsman????
    Please pass all information you have on the first foundation stage.
    Look forward to sharing and talking with you all.

Wish me luck,

Best Regards,

Iain

Re: Hello from Glasgow - Scotland

Hello, and welcome to the crazy WFO world...from Oregon, USA!

The weather here in western Oregon is very damp, except for the summer months where it can be quite hot. I saw on another thread on here where someone built a third doorway arch with a second reveal. This would allow you to put a second "winter" door in place during the wet spells. We thought that was a wonderful idea, given the number of wet months we have.

I think it may be a bit late in the year, but you could certainly build the pedestal before stopping for the winter. You certainly have the right idea to read through this forum and learn what others have to say about their choices and comments about what they may have done differently. The wealth of information and the general enthusiasm on this forum are second to none.

Best wishes on your build!

Dixie and Ken Morgan, USA

Comment

Thanks Dixie, Ken
      Its great being new here and getting my first friendly reply. Thanks again.
      Yes - ive left it a bit late!
      I got the quote back on the materials from the builders yard and hope to start as soon as it stops raining! I will aim to build the found and the pedaestal this year. Im in no rush and want to get it right.
      Is this forum as busy and helpfull over the winter months?
      Great talking to you and i will be in touch with any progress pics etc. No dobt i will be needing some advice.

Best,

Iain

Comment

Welcome! The forum is busy all year round as we have lots of folks from Australia builing ovens during our winter. I know there are a bunch of builds in the UK and I think we had one in Scotland...use the Search feature at the top of the forum page (not the site search at the very top).

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/a...land-5926.html

Also, be sure to download the free plans from the fornobravo store.

Drake
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

cheers drake. Much appreciated.
          Will keep you posted on my progress.

Comment

Hi Iain,

I'm at livingston and making a start on an oven myself. Gathering materials from local paper/ebay etc

Comment

Working...
            X