New to Wood ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Wood ovens

Hi, from the UK, was wondering if anyone could give me some detailed plans of a small to medium, igloo type oven, wanting to get one built this summer, got a mate who's a builder willing to help but cant get any decent plans or construction information, please help

cheers

Steve

Re: New to Wood ovens

Hi Steven,

The good folks who host this web site have produced a set of plans for the round, dome shaped (Igloo) wood fired oven. The name for this oven is Pompeii. The plans and detailed instructions for building this oven are available free at this link -

Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven

Along with the advice available from this on - line community here on this forum, this plan set is the resource I used to build the oven in my back yard. I am completely satisfied with the results.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted with pictures and any questions you have about building your oven.

JED

Comment

got a mate who's a builder willing to help
      Pay particular attention to insulation. We've heard of more than one "expert" who has skipped this vital step.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The plans posed on this site are a good start.

Modify as needed. The foundation will have to be site specific. (If you have a mate who is familiar with local construction this is a great asset).

There are basically three types of foundations:

- Reinforced structural slab on grade. This is the easiest to construct but is only suitable if the underling subbase material is compact and consistent.
        - Footings. Often used if there is a concern with the subbase material. For example a poorly or unevenly compacted clay or clay till .
        - Piles. Again, if there is concern with the subbase material.

Comment

Working...
        X