oven door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven door

Hi folks just got my WFO completed, and just joined the forum. I have wanted one of these things for YEARS and am looking forward to lots of fun, and learning this fall. Does anyone have any insight into what kind of door is best to put on it. I'm a blacksmith so building a door with some cool looking strap hinges etc is my plan, however any input on "don't do this" would be useful..Should I put some " sliding or screw type" air vents in the door. Thanks folks for your help to this WFO newbie. If anybody is near Navasota Texas let me know.

smokey

Re: oven door

Hey Smokey, welcome to the forum, maybe you've come across these posts already, take a look for some door inspiration:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/m...door-6357.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ma...o-5701-23.html

my metal working skills aren't at this level so I'm hacking a door together from an old wall oven, I'm going to insulate it and add a handle and I'll be all set. This door will be strictly for bread baking in the under 600 degree range.

good luck and post some pictures of your oven when you get a chance,

Doug

Comment

Thanks Doug that is exactly what I was looking for. Photo's of my oven are located in "Photo Gallery", click on S ( for Smokey) and they come up.. thanks for your help. Just got my oven broken in with the 6 fires and intend to cook this weekend.. Think I'll post a "1st pizza " photo.

regards smokey

Comment

Hi Smithy,,

You could get some 2 pound anvils to use for oven door handles, Might be too much heat transfer though,, There is another guy that used the welders chipping hammer handles too, that looked pretty cool..

Good luck and welcome
        Mark

Comment

Hey Smokey, took a look at your pictures, that is some excellent stonework. I used limestone for my oven base, collecting some more salvaged material for the front and chimney eventually. That's quite a nice outdoor kitchen you have there.

Doug

Comment

hey Mark, I thought I'd forge a couple of handles in the shape of animals heads. One a dragon head ( not to hard to do since nobody knows what a dragon looks like anyway) and one a boars head, which I did once before. I really like the chipping handle idea that was very clever. Going to start work on the oven door this Sat., I'll post some pics next week.

Comment

Hey smokey,
              Cool idea, I have seen that done with railroad spikes, I forged a few knives out of them, will post some pics when I get home... If you need a few spikes I will send you some,,

Mark

Comment

here's some of the knives i made out of railroad spikes
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

That is awesome - you need to work on a dough cutter
                  Very nice work!
                  Les..
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks les, Probably wouldnt be too hard if i just took the blade from a another cutter, The Knives really arent hard to make if you have a forge, I built mine out of an old 20lb. propane tank and parts from home desperate....
                    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I love that pizza cutter idea, think I give one a go, using the blade from one sure makes sense. good idea

Comment

hey smokey,, I put up some more pics in the Chit Chat section, with my forge and some other stuff i made,,,

Mark

Comment

Hey Smokey
                          Hows the door coming ??
                          Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X