Hello from Long Island !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Long Island !!!

I am building a Pompeii oven and enclosed the dome in a gable house structure. The chimney is a terra cotta flue liner and is centered at the roof peak. The roof is sheathed in durrock, right up to the chimney. I am searching for advice on how to seal the chimney to the durrock to make it water tight. Can anyone out there give me some suggestions ???

Re: Hello from Long Island !!!

What are you planning for your roofing material?

Welcome to the forum! Got any pictures?
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

We had a professional roofer come out and put a tile roof on our oven. We also used a terracotta flue liner and butted the concrete board roof right up to the chimney. My joints between segments of the flue aren't the prettiest things, and made using the lead flashing he'd brought more difficult. Instead, the guy used a high heat caulk around the chimney, put a wooden layer on top of the concrete board that sat a couple inches away from the chimney, and added the tile roofing, which snugged right up against the chimney. Again, he caulked with the high heat caulk. He said it wasn't how you'd roof a habitable structure, but water wasn't going to get in there, either.
      Nikki

Comment

I think there should be an enclosure around the flue tile, as these things get really hot, and if you're using standard shingles, the tar would melt close to the flue, and make a mess. The enclosure could support a chimney cap, for a more traditional look, and the shingles could be properly flashed, in the conventional manner:

This from the excellent "Amateur builders handbook", 1951
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
        X