Newbie starting small oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie starting small oven build

Hello to everyone, great forum and some beautiful ovens from what i have seen so far. Starting a pizza oven on the backyard patio that is going to be a little smaller than i wanted but i figured if it works right we will all be happy with it. I had the area poured as part of the patio (8") and got the concrete block in last weekend. I'll probably be back with a few questions later.

thanks,

David

Re: Newbie starting small oven build

Don't forgert to post pictures!
    Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

I will be, nothing as detailed as yours (which looks great!) but i'll get some taken along the way.

Comment

just getting started myself. good luck.
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

got started last weekend, going for some firebrick this week and start on the oven floor this weekend. first picture of the oven
          PhotoPlog - Hearth and Stand

Comment

Looking good: What kind of insulation are you using under your floor?
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

6 to 1 vermiculite with portland cement 2" thick

Comment

Just a note: four inches of vermiculite concrete is recommended. If you need to keep your insulation layer to two inches, it's best to go with the refractory insulation boards.

Comment

Thanks,

i was going by what i read in the A. Scott book for wood fired ovens which called for 2". I think i mentioned somewhere its going to be a small barrel type oven so i have a 3 1/2 slab over the vermiculite which i will lay down a bed of fire clay which will then be set with the firebrick, do you think i am going to have problems with insulation ?

thanks,
                  David

Comment

You can build anyway you want, but having the insulation under the support slab has been pretty much discredited, unless you're going for massive bread bakes, and you fire every day, so heating up that much mass isn't as much an issue.

The advantage of the high mass oven is that you can do three bread bakes on one firing, and most of us want a quick heat up after work to cook pizzas.

It all depends on what you want, but the overwhelming majority of builders put a single layer of firebrick over four inches of vermiculite concrete, or two inches of insulation board.

Comment

Welcome to the forum David D.
                      It all depends on what you want, but the overwhelming majority of builders put a single layer of firebrick over four inches of vermiculite concrete, or two inches of insulation board.
                      this is what I did, I am totally happy with it..

Cheers and Good Luck with your build
                      Mark

Comment

"i was going by what i read in the A. Scott book"

In this instance, you will find most of us disagree with Scott's book with respect to the insulation under the slab detail. Most if not all pompeii ovens on this site have the insulation layer (4 inches vermiculite typically) between the structural slab and the hearth bricks.

Comment

David D
                          Dmun has it on the ball with your hearth insulation.
                          They say that you can't overinsulate, but 4" of vermiculite cement 6:1 with portland is ample. My oven hold the heat quite well for a couple of days but not as good as some others and I put that down to a 3" under hearth and because it is built on a retaining wall and into the earth behind the wall, I cannt detect ot measure the amount if any heat loss through the floor. Next oven will be 4" for sure.
                          Good luck and enjoy your build.

Neill
                          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                          Neill’s kitchen underway
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

guess i'll have to hope for the best, didnt come across the site till after i started and noticed most of the builds are Pompeii ovens. Working on a built in BBQ at the same time and trying to figure out how to do the top on that. Originally i was going to do it in Mexican pavers to match the look of my place. Now i'm thinking of decorative concrete so i'll have a nice smooth work surface.

thanks all,

DD

Comment

That really is a problem nowadays David, too many different and appealing surfaces to choose from. You need to select one that suits the needs, is economical, appropriate for the purpose, fits into the surrounds, durable and appealing. Synthetic, natural, stainless steel, concrete, terrazzo, the list is endless.
                              I think that after the oven build, the entertaining area is next and ending in a comprehensive kitchen all outdoors when you WILL use it extensively, especially if you have the temperature climates as we do over here. We have 10 days straight 35˚C + at present, no local fire ban but will be here shortly.
                              My preparation area is slab red gum timber which is wiped with a safe cooking oil to keep serviceable.The pizza bases are rolled (as we don't have the skills to toss the dough yet - but too impatient to persevere in trying), is on a black granite slab.

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
                              X