Hello All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All

NY checking in I have an established BBQ catering and vending business. I have a roadside spot were I vend daily and I see an opportunity to add wood fired pizzas to my vending and catering menu. I have been doing my research and the market is there were I am. I guess the only question I have at this time is is there a good pre made dough out there or is making it yourself the only way. The added time and equipment to make the dough would be my only stumbling point.

Re: Hello All

Hi Smokinit,

Welcome to the forum. A few folks on the board have tried pre-made doughs (Trader Joe's comes to mind). If I remember right, the reviews were less than stellar. I did a quick Google search and didn't find anyone with bulk, institutional quantities of pizza dough. I'm not sure I'd want to eat it if I did find some.

Homemade dough is SO good (and easy to make) that commercial doughs don't get a lot of discussion here. Something else to think about; even mediocre pizza joints make their own dough. It's very inexpensive.

You might want to keep your eyes open for a second-hand commercial mixer. Plenty of them at our local restaurant supply store thanks to the down economy.

Making your own dough *might* be easier than you think.

Good luck!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

welcome Smokinit....
      When Im in a rush or just dont have the time, I just go to the pizzeria and buy dough from them, they are always happy to sell it and I have even had them deliver it.. Maybe you could just pick your dough up in the morning, as long as you wouldnt be directly competing with the guy,,, and yes as ken said dough is easy and can make a world of difference
      Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Hi smokinit,
        and welcome aboard!
        Just looking and thinking a little on your situation, the making of the dough is the minimum cost to providing a great taste for your customers from your roadside location.
        You can easily make the dough the night or even day before and proof it overnight in your fridge.
        Cooking it and having it 'hot and fresh' for your customers will do nothing but multiply your customer base and turnover.
        So, where does that leave you with the cooking? - A mobile oven is what will be required and be your greatest expense. The local council or Dept Health regulations will also affect what, how, when and where you do your thing! So there are a lot of aspects to consider.
        The best flour bought in bulk (not necessarily the Caputo 00 flour, but a good quality unbleached pizza or bread flour) will cost you around a $1 per kg whereas purchased pre-made dough will be considerably more.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I have come to the same conclusion especially after talking to my son who has worked for to pizza places and I didn't know he was there dough maker.Now I need to find a mixer and a dedicated refrigerator for the dough. i have a trailer with my smokers attached to it and will be mounting the oven to it as well. I am thinking of the Primavera 70 on the optional metal stand. Will this hold up on a trailer any suggestions for proper mounting.

Comment

Remember, an oven with it's support, insulation, and enclosure is really heavy. It's a good call to use a modular oven, but make sure your trailer has the support for something this heavy and fragile.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

[QUOTE=dmun;68273]Remember, an oven with it's support, insulation, and enclosure is really heavy. It's a good call to use a modular oven, but make sure your trailer has the support for something this heavy and fragile.[/QUOTE

thanks the weight is no problem it's the fragile I am worried about. Any mounting advice?

Comment

smokinit
                Mounting and making it stable is quite easy and rather basic. It just has to be mounted so that it cannot move!
                However, the quality of ride, the suspension/spring rates/stiffness of the suspension, the roads, the speed of travel is more important to control! These are the factors that I see where any damage can occur.
                You should cut the frame down so that it is not too high especially if you plan on leaving it on the trailer. Not the sort of load you want to move on and off without a forklift or equivalent.

Cheers.

Neill

PS. When you want to put quotes in your postings, make sure that they are hilighted before selecting the quote option mate!
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
                X