Greetings from Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Minnesota

Hello, my name is Eric, and I am about half-way into the construction of an indoor 36" Pompeii. What an ordeal in Minnesota! The outside foundation next to my home's kitchen had to be dug 48" down, and then we poured a 12-foot tall reinforced concrete box to get the hearth platform to the right level in the kitchen. The one night I made the leap and took a sledge hammer and busted the kitchen wall out. Last week I poured the structural part of the hearth and now it's time to set in the insulating hearth. I bought four 2" ceramic insulating boards and plan to set these in a bed of perlite-portland. In three or four days when the stuff cures, I get to do the fun I have been waiting for--laying the brick. As this labor of love progresses, I have now one question which I think will require the experience of the group, and it centers around the insulating boards:

The FB insulating boards I received seem to have good compressive strengh, more than enough I think to support the firebrick oven floor. I am worried about the walls of the dome, which will transfer close to 1000 pounds, if not more to the boards beneath them. From the perspective of an amateur engineer, this weight will be distributed over appx. 100 square inches, and again I think there is no need to worry about the compressive strength of the FB boards. But what about after a heat? The ceramic material is expected to shrink, and has anyone noticed deformation of the dome relative to the floor after a few firings? Probably not. But I'd thought I'd ask before setting in this relatively expensive part of the build.

Many thanks!
    Eric

Re: Greetings from Minnesota

Welcome Eric! Wish I could've installed my oven indoors -- walking through the snow to load it up is not my idea of fun. I didn't use FB board, but I'm certain there is nothing to be concerned about in terms of its strength, unless your dome will be supporting part of your house.
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

Welcome, Eric. I, too, would love an indoor oven! I agree with Daren (as always). You should be fine.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Eric,

In my thread "les' build", page 12, link 138 - you can see where I drove my truck onto the board. It did compress the leading edge (to be expected) where the tire rolled onto it. After that, it went nowhere. I also left some out in the snow and rain all winter with weight on it - again, no probs. The stuff appears to be fairly bullet proof.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

One of the characteristics of FB Board (and ceramic fiber insulation in general) is very little expansion and contraction during heat up and cool down.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            The stuff appears to be fairly bullet proof.

Les...
            C'mon, Les. You need to test this out next!
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
              C'mon, Les. You need to test this out next!
              Damn - I threw all the scrap away when cleaning out the shop. I just bought a sweet little Kel-Tec 380 - It would have been fun to post a pic of that. Its the smallest 380 on the planet.

Les...
              Last edited by Les; 10-22-2009, 04:46 PM. Reason: Added pic and some words
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

The FB Board will be fine. Enjoy the journey.

Joe
                Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Thanks, folks! I jumped in, and tonight a friend and installed the FB boards on a layer of pearlcrete. The boards were fairly easy to level, and had only minor variations in thickness. By the Germans these boards are not made, but they seem like they will work super well. I took an oxy-acetylene torch and fired a piece of scrap, and the center glowed like one of those space shuttle tiles you see on TV; I could immediately handle the piece by the edges--super stuff!

Thanks again!
                  Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X