Hello from Long Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Long Island

I have been lurking for weeks.....I am ready to make the plunge. I live within an hour of so many great places to get pizza and I eat a lot of it. I still feel the need to make my own at home. Thanks to everyone on the forum for providing so much great information. I really feel ready to get started. The slab is already in place (the backyard came that way) so step one is already complete!

Doug
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Re: Hello from Long Island

HI ds
    welcome to the club,, If you have the foundation done you have one of the physically hardest parts done... the rest is cake..ok pizza... enjoy and take lots of pics..we love pics here
    Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Welcome, Doug! Will you be building through the winter? I'm sure you've checked, but make sure the slab is thick enough, and reinforced. Wouldn't want it to crack on ya'!
      - Daren
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

I do plan on building through the winter (I enjoy a nice outdoor winter project). Any advice on that topic would be appreciated!

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

I do plan on building through the winter
          hey doug,, building thru the winter is tuff,,, your cement may not cure properly below freezing.. you could always build or buy a tent around your build and keep it semi warm though..

Comment

I have a tent with sides which I will be using. I plan on avoiding the freezing nights as much as possible. If I cant is it ok to use some sort of mortar antifreeze mixed in with the refractory mortar while building the dome?

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Antifreeze" is a misnomer applied to admixtures for cold weather mortar that are really accelerators, and not depressants of the mortar freezing point. These mixtures may decrease the compressive and bond strengths of the masonry if they are used in quantities that significantly lower the freezing point in the mortar. Antifreeze compounds have little benefit and are not recommended. Accelerators may reduce the time that newly constructed masonry needs to be protected from cold temperatures, but they do not eliminate the need for such protection.

Accelerators normally used include soluble carbonates, silicates and fluosilicates, aluminous cements, calcium aluminate, and some organic compounds such as triethanolamine. Calcium chloride is sometimes used as an accelerator, but may produce side-effects such as corrosion of steel (reinforcement, ties, anchors). For that reason, calcium chloride should not be permitted for use in mortar.

ds, I hope this helps. you may want to do some more research on this....

Comment

Thank you for the advice NJ. I am going to avoid the use of an accelerator, not worth the potential problems. The plan is going to be build the stand starting sunday and pour the hearth in the next week. The weather is still fine and the temps look ok for now. I will evaluate things again at that point. I will post pics next week.

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

looking forward to it......

Comment

Dry stacked the blocks this weekend for the stand. It looks great, but have a problem. I think I may need a permit for this build. I had some conflicting info. but have decided to be safe rather than sorry.

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

I think I may need a permit for this build. I had some conflicting info. but have decided to be safe rather than sorry.
                      I agree, will delay you some but like insurance its always good to have even if you dont need it... When you go for the permit, tell them it is a barbecue type structure. May towns do not have brick ovens listed in the code.. will make it go faster and easier,,

Cheers and good luck
                      Mark

Comment

When you go for the permit, tell them it is a barbecue type structure.
                        I agree: "freestanding masonry barbeque" will be your mantra. Building departments have been ignoring them for half a century. Have the tuscan grill ready and in place when it's inspected.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Better to stop work yourself and triple check the permit aspect. Nothing worse than having a building inspector issue a stop work order. They all seem to get a real hard on at that point and will nit pick you to death right up to the final inspection. They figure that you were a "system cheater" from the beginning and will be looking to take all the short cuts. They rank just above pond scum and just below a buy here - pay here used car salesman in my book. again, just my biased opinion.

RT

Comment

"but have decided to be safe rather than sorry."

Wise. Explain to you local building department what you are doing, in many areas permits for this type of construction are not necessary. Document that you asked.

Comment

Document that you asked
                              neil brings up another good point... If they end up telling you you dont need one, document the whole thing, ie;who you spoke with, date & time...

Good Luck
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X