For now it is just a dream..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For now it is just a dream..

I am very excited to have found this board. A friend found CanukJim's thread about mixers, and sent me over here because she thought I might be interested. I didn't realize there were so many people excited about brick ovens.

I live in Monterey, CA right now, while my wife finishes her post-doc in biology. I work as an administrator at the marine station she is at to pay the bills and bring in the health insurance. The deal is that when she finishes here and finds a professor job, we will move, buy a house, and I will work part time while she brings in the health insurance. Then I will build or buy a brick oven, and try to start a small business selling bread at farmer's markets and possibly on a subscription/CSA model.

I would call myself a journeyman baker. I baked my way through Peter Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice" as a form of training. I recently bought Jeffrey Hamelman's "Bread" but haven't baked much from it yet. When I was reading Alan Scott and Daniel Wing's "Bread Builders" I realized that there was, in fact, a way to turn what I love doing (baking bread) into something resembling a business.

It looks like I am not the only one. I would love to hear any feedback more experienced people have on the topic, but I mostly wrote this to introduce myself.

Tim
Working...
X