Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by echopark View Post
    BTW: Positioning the oven opening INTO the prevailing wind directions is key. It seems to me that on days when the wind is blowing from the back of my oven, it's very hard to get the fire started, and it smokes out the door a lot more than usual.
    This is very interesting info. I always imagined that you didn't want wind blowing into the opening. How does this affect during the actual cooking of pizzas?
    Where I'm situated I get a constant breeze blowing in from the same direction (west) over 90% of the time. With my oven opening facing towards the house winds will come in from the rear quarter of the oven.
    There will be no wind barrier also.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

it's not "that" windy ever, unless it's "too" windy, and then no outdoor fires anyway. Also, if the wind blows from behind, the smoke gets blown right into your face.

Comment

Hmmm -- reading other peoples posts about wind... and most are saying the opposite of what I did -- so perhaps I'm totally wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by echopark View Post
          it's not "that" windy ever, unless it's "too" windy, and then no outdoor fires anyway. Also, if the wind blows from behind, the smoke gets blown right into your face.
          But isn't that one of the reasons for having a chimney .....to direct heat and smoke high and above your head?

True, unlike in the valleys, it rarely gets very windy here in the LA basin.
          Whereabouts in Echo Park are you located if I may ask? I'm located right at the park perimeter above Echo Park Ave.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Other side of echo park ave -- Cerro Gordo.

Comment

Oh you're very close. You're also very close to those log homes. Lovely, cozy homes on Cerro Gordo. In fact we used to live at the corner of Lemoyne & Baxter. We sold that property after only 2 years in 1990 because my wife hated that hill. She thought she was going to roll the vehicle over every time she entered our driveway...
              But we love that entire area though. We moved less than a mile away and found a place on Park Dr. We're still on a hill but not as steep. At least I'm able to ride my bicycle up all the way to the top.
              Last edited by fxpose; 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I don't really have a choice on where to face the opening. It's either south or southeast. At this time, I'm hoping wind will be the least of my worries. We rarely get the brunt of the Santa Anas in O'side. Just coastal storms in which case I won't be burning anyway.

You're right, I'll need to lay it out (like others have suggested) on a grid and see how it works. I was just trying to figure out where you shorted it on the depth to make it fit. I'd still like to see your math on the depth so I can have the details.

Regardless of whether I build it into the island or separately in the corner I'll still have a near zero clearance to the perimeter fence (a probable code violation if it's > 3' above grade). Actually, the corner build would be more visually pleasing since the corner can be seen better from the inside kitchen/family room than the island.

Thanks for the tips. It'll be fun for sure. I just need to lay it out using your measurements and math.

Comment

I'll make some measurements tomorrow and see what I can sketch up.

It's definitely best if you can see the oven opening from the house/kitchen -- it allows you to keep an eye on the fire while getting other things ready, and it's very inviting for guests -- gets them out of the house into the yard.

My general approach to the setback issue is: talk to your neighbors & be sure to invite them over for pizza!

Comment

I blogged my build step-by-step if that helps you at all: Dough and Mortar
                    and there are more photos on a picasa web album that's linked to the blog

Comment

Nice blog you have there, and very informative. Under your 'mistakes' about water seeping on the storage floor, I intend to have my storage floor 2" above the foundation and pitched as you indicated.

Also, very nice view of the snow capped mts from your window. I wish I had a view facing north. Our view faces southwest so we see downtown LA and Century City.....boring views, IMO.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Nice blog and build, echopark !!

I copied the blog and all photso for my reference book and will definitely use it (I assume it's not patented).

It looks like the wife will be favoring a corner built since our patio post is in the way unless I can do a diagonal/45 degree build on the end of the island. So I won't be using the 56x56 stand design (despite how great I thought it was). Either way I'll be against the fence.

You surely did push the endge-of-the-envelope on the side and rear clearance on your stand. I guess no enclosure then. I'm sure we'll all be interested in seeing the finish. Both the copper and "heavy metal" sounds cool. Please post the photo on FR and lot fxpose and me know. Thanks a lot.

Comment

ralogan55......I don't know your exact layout but would canti-levering the landing area make any difference?
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

fxpose,

It would help, but the little woman thinks that the 56X56 stand alone doesn't give enough room (23") between the patio post and the stand. And I think she's right. Most people could squeeze through but there's also the issue of asthetics. Most interior design people target 30" minimum for walking area. I'm at 54" structure depth with no landing as it is.

No real harm; I'll just have to use do a corner build and separate my outside grill island from the BFO. The 57" corner build footprint is just a pain-in-a** with 8" and 16" block.

I haven't decided whether to do an igloo or enclosure. With an igloo I can easily keep it at 56", but if I go with an enclosure I may have to eliminate the 1" space between the wall and the dome insulation (I'll have to re-check my math here).

But, I'll probably do a radial cantelever on the corner stand since I have the front clearance.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Rick

Comment

The angle plan seems wise considering that a 4-5' long peel might need to fit between this post and the oven door.

I had originally planned to do an enclosure --BTW: 2" from ceramic blanket to cement board was my planned clearance-- but I came to really like the dome, and I never came up with an enclosure I could love.

In the end, the dome, vault and flue looks very steam-punk to me -- like a stationary steam engine.
                              Last edited by echopark; 02-10-2010, 11:12 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Comment

It does look cool just the way it is for sure.

Is that 2" to the inside wonderboard? Since you need to allow 4" for the metal studs that would be a total of 6" between the insulation and stand edge.

I have decided to go to a corner build, but still not sure about igloo or enclosed. I don't want the enclosure sticking above the fence since it's so close to the property line. I know I'll have to come out 4"-6" from the fence anyway just for working room.

I have 6+ feet for the stand wings so I have plenty of room and even may consider going to a 42" oven if I have enough brick (I can always buy more) and it's not an overkill.

Comment

Working...
                                X