Whoo Hoo I Think I Get It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoo Hoo I Think I Get It!

My name is Thom and I live in the Portland, Oregon area of the northwest. I have long desired to build an outdoor kitchen and area for entertaining. Simultaneously I fell in love with wood fired pizza at a local joint. As often happens a great idea was born.
    In my Googling I came across Forno Bravo and am amazed at the ideas and creativity that is shared here, I'm sure I will take advantage of it. There is nothing like it anywhere.
    This Spring (early) I will begin work on a 36"to 40" oven as the center piece and hopefully be ready for Pizza parties in early summer. Already I have gleaned (read that: swiped) ideas from some of you and the plans are coming together. I promise pictures from the beginning, to hopefully contribute to the forums.
    Thanks-
    Thom
    PS- Any Portland builders out there?

Re: Whoo Hoo I Think I Get It!

Thom, I agree this is a great resourse and I think everyone "gleans" info off each others experiences. I was in the same boat a year ago and I'm glad I added an oven to my outdoor kitchen. I use it more than the grill and it's really great for entertaining. More fun for eveyone that standing around a grill

Good luck designing and keep asking questions.

Comment

Hi Thom,

I joined the forum today as I recently completed my oven.
      I am in Central Vitoria, Australia
      I have built it from 130 year old mud bricks in a 'beehive' design.
      Tonite will be my 10th firing (pizza's for my in-laws) and I am getting the hang of it.
      I have photo's showing construction from the start if you are interested I will post.
      Good luck
      Cheers

Comment

Hey Thom,

It's great to see your enthusiasm on deciding to actually do an oven. Every bit of it is an exciting process (unless you give yourself a ridiculously short time frame to do it, but then again, what's the point in dragging it on forever )

A 36"-40" oven sounds great. I built a 42" last year because it was a big round number and that's the "larger" size most used but in hind-site a 39"-40" would would have suited me fine.

There's at least 1 Portland builder out there I know of but it's so cool when you get a bit of advice or encouragement from someone in Australia, Europe or anywhere else too.

Happy building, Dino
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi Thom!

One meter is a really nice size and that is essentially what you are building. Perfect IMO for most. I would strongly encourage you to plan to put a roof over the oven and any horizontal surfaces (ledges) around the oven to reduce water problems. Welcome aboard and good luck with your oven/kitchen!

Jay

Comment

Hi Thom,

Welcome to the club! We live in the Rock Creek area of Portland and built our oven last spring/summer. You're already off to a great start by realizing the value of this forum. There's areas where you won't want to compromise (firebrick, mortar, insulation), but as far as styling goes, there are no limits. We are by no means experts, but if you want to visit some time and talk ovens, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck this spring!

The Morgans

Comment

Welcome Thom.

I'm not in Seattle but am just across the water on Vancouver Island.

Comment

Thanks all. I will begin posting photos and updates as I begin to purchase material and extend my patio for oven/kitchen space. Probably about April I will bobcat and pour concrete (it rains here until then) and then the fun begins.

Comment

Thom,
                  Welcome to the club mate, this site is priceless and the information you will receive will be phenomenal should you have any queries. I just finished the dome of my WFO (Wood Fire Oven) and at first I made a jig as it was originally going to be a 36 inch WFO. Just my opinion but before you start mate forget about the 36 inch and stick with 40 inches from the get go.
                  I ended up making mine 38.5 inches that's inside the dome (cooking circumference) I would of made it 40 inches but I already poured the foundation and had everything set as a 36 inch oven, I was so happy that I could make it that extra 2.5 inches bigger in circumference, it's incredible how much room you gain with just that little more space. I would say 38 to 40 is absolutely perfect for ALL types of cooking. When you start getting bigger then 40 inches I personally think it's far too big, unless you are continuously going to use it to cook for tons of people then yes I can understand going bigger, but you will find in most cases it's more cozy and intimate having around 10 to 15 people over or in most cases less and a 40 inch WFO is more then adequate.

Good luck mate
                  Dean

Comment

You are in very good company here. People with hands-on experience that are prepared to share info and learn as well. No manual/book or other resource that I know offers all that and more for FREE!!

Enjoy and participate!!!

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

Hey Thom,

Just started my oven and am in Vancouver WA. I have the floor cut and the first three rows dry fitted. Working on the base next but have to wait until the outdoor porch is completed.

Let me know your plans and whether or not you are able to find any materials locally. I bought brick from mutual materials. have not yet found mortar or insulation. May end up ordering from FB.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X