Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from brisbane

hi im a new membor from downunder

im building a barrel vault style oven (and before you ask why not a igloo style i was already commited before finding the forum)

im hoping to have it finished in the next few weeks

ill post some pictures when i work out how

Re: hello from brisbane

Sounds interesting - look forward to seeing pics of the build.

Did you get it in kit form or are you building from scratch?
    / Rossco

Comment

Hi bris-pizza-oven and welcome.
      No matter what oven you choose to build, you will enjoy it.
      You will however, be able to compare the pros and cons of the two build but before you complete your build, ensure that you have insulated what you can thoroughly to get the very best performance from it that you can. This is the absolute critical characteristic of a 'good oven' over shape and materials.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Gidday Brisvegas oven builder, hope you sourced your materials locally. Total Refractory Managment is a good starting point @ Slacks Ck

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
          Gidday Brisvegas oven builder, hope you sourced your materials locally. Total Refractory Managment is a good starting point @ Slacks Ck
          i got all the refractory items from claypave at dinmore qld ie; the fire bricks and fireclay for the morter i also got a calicium silicate board and blanket from bellis australia in coopers plains qld

all the items are seconds but i got my bricks as arch bricks instead off straight bricks because they had a sale on at $1 each

my oven is a tad on the larger size in being 42" long and 36" wide but my father was a baker for nearly 40 years and he did he trade on a wood oven in the 60's

i have to fix a crack or two in the mortor (im no bricklayer but im getting there)then i will be finishing off and building an attached bbq area once the ovens done.

its been a project thats been ongoing for nearly 2 years since the pad was cut (ive had a few other projects to get on with) and i realy cant wait to use it

i have been given a heap off old bakers bread tins that will come in handy

Comment

Hello bpo,
            I've recently finished mine. Gee, you got a better deal from Claypave than I did. I remember the day I drove home from there with a car and trailer full of firebricks - really underestimated the weight of them!

I had a big baking day planned for today, but all this rain killed that off.

Best wishes for your oven.

Glen
            Last edited by glen; 02-09-2010, 02:44 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

thanks glen does anyone have any idea if i would need a blanket style insulation or a foil style

i just got a quote from bellis australia for a 15mm blanket rated for 1200 degrees and it came in at $12 a meter.

should i use thicker say 25 mm or will the 15 mm be enough

Comment

25mm would be the absolute minimum, may be look at 50mm. We sell 25 and 50mm blanket @ $ 75/roll. The 25mm is 7.2m long and the 50mm is 3.6m long/Make sure of the roll length.

Comment

I did three layers of blanket (75mm tot)
                  Glen

Comment

does anyone have any idea if i would need a blanket style insulation or a foil style
                    Aluminum foil is useless as insulation.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thanks heaps guys i will fit the insulation this weekend.

im now building a new attached deck for preparing the meals on the side its going to be a brick base with a polished timber slab with 10mm stainless strips in it and a beer keg style bbq set in it

i will post some pictures off it soon

Comment

Working...
                      X