New in the Pacific Northwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New in the Pacific Northwest

Just want to say hello to everyone here. I live in Washington State about and hour east of Portland, OR and have wanted to build a wood-fired ever since completing my outdoor kitchen. I am hoping this will be the year it happens. Right now I am planning on buying one of the modular units and building a block support structure and enclosure. There are a few parts of the build that I am a little confused on but I will deal with them when I get to them. I also need to figure out where to best locate it - these things take up some space. Looking forward to being part of this great forum.

Re: New in the Pacific Northwest

snmhanson,

Welcome to the forum.

You are the second new guy from the 'neighborhood' to show up this week. I'm in Bend, and there are several folks involved with this forum from the Northwest.

Keep the questions coming and if we can add an opinion or two to help with your decision making, we will try!

Photo's are a good thing... Send along any images of your space and the oven as it comes together!

JED

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome Jed. I did see a few pics of ovens from this neck of the woods - particularly up closer to Seattle but also one or two in Bend and in other local areas. I live across from Hood River in Underwood, Washington so I am not all that far from you. I'll definately post pics of my progress once I get started, which will likely be quite a while since I have a pretty big list of other projects I have to get finished first. I guess I could hire some workers to do the brick work for me. Maybe this weekend I will take some pics of the site and start a new build thread to get ideas rolling for the layout.

Matt

Comment

HI Matt,

These ovens don't 'just happen' over night! They require weeks, and often months of fussing, and worrying, and mucking around, so enjoy the process!

If you are coming our way and want to stop in and see the oven, just send a PM (private message on this forum) and we can arrange the details.

JED

Comment

Sounds good - thanks for the offer. Not sure when I'll be heading down there next but may take you up on that when/if I do. (I'll bring the pizza dough and beer...)

Matt

Comment

Hey guys,

I am also in the NW, south of Seattle :>) Happen to be in Battle Ground, WA. I have started my oven just last weekend. No photos yet, nor have I posted, but I am hoping to get that organized soon.

I have the floor cut out, and the first three rows of bricks cut and dry fitted. Unusual situation as I am waiting on a contractor to finish our covered porch with a finished slab. He is also going to finish the slab for the oven, not sure when yet.

Can't wait to get this thing going further. Starting on the design of a wooden support structure, as opposed to the normal block. I am planning on building a timber base to support the concrete slab and oven.

Is there anyone else in the area that is already cooking? My wife is practicing pizza crusts. We just finished the best effort she has done to date. I hope to have the oven completed this year. We shall see. These things seem to take longer than anyone plans.

Good to know there are others out here.

Jim

Comment

There's a lot of Washington folks here. Welcome.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

We're cooking Pizza and more in Bellevue, WA!
                Cheers,

Comment

Starting on the design of a wooden support structure, as opposed to the normal block. I am planning on building a timber base to support the concrete slab and oven.
                  This is not a good idea. Ovens are heavy and rigid, and need solid support. A timber base will move every time the humidity does, and may cause cracking to your oven and surround. There's also the small matter that wood can catch fire. On the whole, I'd stick to a masonry base, or a structural steel one.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

snmhanson,
                    Welcome to the forum,, Have you downloaded the free planns yet ? Here is the link, Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick OvenRead them thru,,,
                    It will give you some great information
                    Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                      snmhanson,
                      Welcome to the forum,, Have you downloaded the free planns yet ? Here is the link, Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick OvenRead them thru,,,
                      It will give you some great information
                      Cheers
                      Mark
                      Hi Mark,

I have checked out those plans. At first I was motivated to try to build one myself knowing how much money I could save. However, then I looked at some threads and saw the time and skill required to build one out of brick and decided that a cast oven would probably be better for my situation. Nevertheless, I still did get a whole lot of good info out of the tutorial/plans that will carry over to a pre-case oven. Still not sure when I will get started but it is officially "on the list".

On a side note, we went to a local restaurant today that cooks with a wood-fired oven. I talked to the owner a little about their oven and he said that there are quite a few people around the area that are building ovens. They happened to get their oven from another dealer but he did recommend Forno Bravo. Got me excited to get moving on my oven.

Matt

Comment

Matt - James (FB) is casting his own line of ovens in Marina, CA. I saw first hand on how well these things work. If you have the $$, and not the time, that IS the route to go. On the other side - the skill you mentioned.... I think most of us lacked that until we bought the first brick.

Les...
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

On the other side - the skill you mentioned.... I think most of us lacked that until we bought the first brick
                          Les, You are absolutely right... And we all learned fast though...

Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

All,
                            If you local folk are interested you are welcome to come on over and take a peek and see how mine works if you want. I fire it up about every two weeks rain of shine. I would really like to do another one but.... I can really only use one wood fired oven. my old thread is probably still active somewhere. I'm at cwilliamslaw@gmail.com
                            Berryst.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi!

Please do not readily accept the answers of ignorant people hating on NJ, I'm sure they have never been here...

As for the Pacific Northwest, I have never been there.
                              roof contractors

Comment

Working...
                              X