advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice

looking to build oven this year could anyone advice to buy a precast one such as for sale on ebay or to buy firebricks and build myself looked at the cost it works out about the same thanks for your help and advice in advance

Re: advice

gasman 100

If you bought the one off e-bay, it would still need a base building for it incorperating the slab for the hearth. In turn this would need insulating board or an insulating layer between slab and hearth. The dome also needs an insulating blanket and final render coats.

The whole process is not so complicated (and help is always at hand) and would probably still come in cheaper that building it yourself with fire-bricks etc. but most people on here would advise a build "from scratch" (me included) as to build something like a Pompeii style brick oven is one of the most rewarding projects I have ever taken on, and well worth the effort.

Terry (C.F)
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

There's a huge variation among pre-made ovens, from exquisite professional ovens that are better than anything you could build, all the way to unworkable, uninsulated junk with a pipe sticking out the top of the dome. By familiarizing yourself with the process of building an oven you will at least have the knowledge to evaluate what you're looking at if you buy a pre-made unit.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thanks for the advice guys hope i can ask for your advice during our build

Comment

gasman 100

Good advice from dmun. There are many modular/kit ovens available on the market even in the UK. With any FB product, you can read through the threads on this forum to see it is a professional product. With any other modular oven you should at least see a working model and try and get some feedback off previous customers. The one on e-bay does seem very cheap for a funtioning model.

Besr of luck with your build

Terry (C.F)
          Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Working...
          X