Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daves build

Gday all,
    I have just poured 2nd slab and while I am waiting for that to cure I was going to brick up the stand.Having never done this before, should I use a string line? or just go off the blocks? any tips or suggestions would be most welcome

Re: daves build

Dave,
    now you've got me confused!

while I am waiting for that to cure I was going to brick up the stand
    From the picture provided, it looks like you have already done the stand, now you need to put in your insulation layer(s) and then either your heart (if you are going to sit your dome on that) or your soldier course and then put your hearth in it before you close your dome.
    What stand were you referring to?

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I have just poured 2nd slab and while I am waiting for that to cure I was going to brick up the stand.Having never done this before, should I use a string line? or just go off the blocks?
      You want to lay up face bricks on the exterior of the stand? There's no reason why you can't just use the stand as your guide. It looks like your stand protrudes enough for the brick facing to have a good footing.

If you haven't laid brick before, you may want to look into the bricky tool. I used it, and I recommend it. It makes bad bricklayers good, and good ones fast.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thx dmun ,
        I thought that I could use the stand wall as a guide, its not perfectly str8 but it will do the job I think. I appreciate the feedback.
        Cheers
        Dave

Comment

sry nissan I meant I am going to put normal reds around the stand before starting on the dome. I was just going to let the 2nd slab really set before loading it up as I would be fairly put out if it cracked(not that it would) because I was impatient.
          cheers

Comment

Use a plumbob or level to bring down each upper corner to the foundation. mark that point as the inner face of your brick veneer. If the stand is out of plumb, this will ensure that the veneer will meet the top of the base and can be built plumb while doing so.

To lay it, use your level vertically, horizontally and across the face to build the corners out, then use a string between the corners to lay the filler brick.

Comment

thx tscar
              I will certainly do that, all good info, thankyou.

Comment

thanks guys for your help I seem to be struggling through it, this is the first time I have ever laid any bricks! managed to get a few courses done today, even getting into the lingo! its not perfect but I am moving forward, which is the main thing.

Comment

Ok I just saw it myself yes that corner brick is upside down! getting a bit weary by the end of the day, 3 kids , wife just had knee reconstruction!
                  cheers
                  dave

Comment

update, got another course of bricks done. and started on dome

Comment

I was wondering regarding the refractory mortar how long it takes to dry? or does it always remain slightly pliable? seems to have properties like a hard putty!
                      cheers
                      dave

Comment

No - it should dry rock hard and fairly fast. What did you use?
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Which refractory mortar? If you mean homebrew, it takes a very long time to thoroughly harden, like weeks (and it probably isn't truly finished until you cure the oven with fire). If you mean the premixed, like HeatStop, then I have no experience with it.

I was impressed over the course of my build how the old mortar slowly got harder and harder. But honestly, it took weeks.

The slower is cures, the stronger it'll be...I think.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                          Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I used the bag stuff and just added water to a peanutbutter consistency!
                            I also put the fire bricks in water before laying so they didnt suck water out of mortar, that was last night and this morning you can still push your finger into it! can I lay anoter ring ontop of that? its hard but not like real mortar

Comment

Hey les, love your build, awesome!
                              I might have to speak to you later on about how you tie the barby into that benchtop!

Comment

Working...
                              X