Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roxul stone wool insulation?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and still in the design stages of my WFO. Raw material suppliers are scarce here in RI but I have found a local building supply company that sells a ready-mix refractory mortar and Roxul ComfortBatt insulation (Roxul Inc.). Has anyone used, considered using or know of a reason not to use Roxul as insulation around the brick oven dome? Reasonably priced and locally available, I'm thinking it's the way to go. Any thoughts?

Thanks and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Greg in RI

Re: Roxul stone wool insulation?

I don't think roxul comfortbatt is the right insulation to use. The products you should be using are roxul rht for the hearth insulation and roxul rw for the dome. According to the specs they have a service temp of 650 degrees celsius which is enough for the oven. Even in the description it says its ideal for ovens.

Roxul comfortbatt, from what I gather from their website, is for home applications only and NOT industrial.
    Last edited by Raffy; 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM.
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Thanks for the info Raffy,

I went to the Roxul website and found the products you've mentioned under industrial/specialty products.

I contacted my local building supplier and they said so long as their distributor had the RHT and RW products, they could get them for me. No word on price just yet but I'll let you know how I make out when the time comes to order.

Nice day today in southern New England

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg,

Glad I could help. How soon do you think you'll start on your project? Remember when it comes to insulation, you can never have enough. Good luck on your build.

Raffy
        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
        Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Greg,

I used stone wool "boards" around the dome and I'm happy with the performance but wasn't so happy with the rigid nature of the product. I bought the product expecting that it was a bat material rather than a soft board material. I had hoped that I could easly form the bats to the dome shape. The board material is soft enough to wrap but not to really conform, won't easly tailor fit. I needed to wrap and rip and stuff to get the coverage right. In the end I did get good coverage over all of the dome and entry area and it wasn't all that difficult. It was less costly than the creamic blanket material about a third of the cost. If I had to do it again I think I'd get enough blanket to cover the dome and use the mineral wool to supplement. The R factor of the mineral wool is very good and the product that I used is designed to be used around the back of fireplaces and chimneys so it's the right product for the job. If you have a house surrounding the dome I think it's your call, spend less money and more time to fit the insulation. If you're looking for an igloo shape your choices are really ceramic blankets or vermicrete.

As I said I'm very happy with the insulating performance of the mineral wool.

Chris
          Last edited by SCChris; 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Chris,

did you use the Roxul RW insulation, the litterature say's that it is a blanket insulation, but i guess it's not a blanket? I am interested in using this due to price and availability.

Marc

Comment

I didn't have access to the blanket or this would have been, would be, my first choice. The ceramic blanket will tolerate higher temps than the mineral wool, but I don't feel that the outside of an oven will get close to the working temps of the product. If you go further with the Roxul verify that their blanket product is stable for the oven wrap usage. I'd be supprised if it wasn't ideal.

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X