Will a pig fit into a pompeii oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a pig fit into a pompeii oven?

Or would it have to become rediculously large?
    I simply can't tell from the pictures here how large these turn out, especially difficult is knowing how large the inside of the oven is. People typically tell me that the dome is a better model than the barrell vault, but it seems to me that a domed oven large enough for a pig, whould be the size of a small house on the outside.

Re: Will a pig fit into a pompeii oven?

How big is the pig? This has been much discussed.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

apparently yes it will
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...-pig-7564.html
      This isn't a very big pig, but a pig nonetheless

Eric
      Last edited by eprante; 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

This is a case where size really does matter. If you are talking about a hog (the term usually used for adult pigs), then you will need a really big oven.....and dome or barrel won't matter. I've been to pig roasts (whole hog) where the dressed weight was 125 -150 lbs. Not going to fit in you typical backyard WFO.

Most folks these days seem to be going for the suckling pigs. They are much smaller allowing ease of cooking, whether it be on a grill rotisserie, in a WFO oven, or roasted in your indoor gas/electric oven. The one meat market I know that sells them offers a variety of weights from 12-15 lbs all the way up to 75-100 lbs. Highest price per pound is for the smaller pigs.

I would like to point out again, the type of oven won't matter (dome or barrel). Either type will have an entrance that should be "to scale" for the overall oven size. Your problem will most likely be getting a large animal in a roasting pan through the entry.
        In theory, a 36" dome should handle animal up to 36" long, same with a 42" or 48" deep barrel should handle something 42" or 48" long.....but how wide and how tall is the item you are trying to stuff in there? It has to get in that relatively small opening.

RT

Comment

You can't have a very large party with a suckling Pig.
          I need to be able to cook a 90lb. hog.

Comment

You could try the method these guys used.
            Three Guys from Miam Pigroast! The Best Way to Roast that Hog!
            Eric

Comment

Or check out the Caja China! It is awesome...
              La Caja China Box - Superb Pig Roasting BBQ Grills and Smokers
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Drew, your Miami roots are showing again. I actually attended an event at a hotel in Miami about 2 yrs ago.....La Caja China was the star, it REALLY produces a great pig. It wasn't a month or two later I saw in on Bobby Flay. (wasn't the same guys I saw - turns out these boxes have taken over pigs roasts within the latin community) . Its an old world way, that has become the new world order in pig roasting.

RT

Comment

You got me! Some Cuban friends of mine call this the "Cuban Microwave". The way I heard the story is that Cubans did a lot of pit roasting in Cuba, but when they got to Miami the found it impossible to dig a pit (due to a high water table and limestone rock right below the soil), so they came up with this...

My Dad has a Caja China and we use it every year for a pig roast. It is very fast and fool proof!
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                  X