aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo

hi all, I have started my 36" wfo which will include an outdoor kitchen and entertaing area. Thankyou to all who have posted great photo,s and helpfull info on their builds. I certainly have gained enough info to get me started down here in australia . Will keep photos coming and updates of my build as we go.Will also be asking a lot of questions and advice from you all.
    the first lot of photos show the area that I am building in after some renos to the bushes. 2nd photo shows the slab prep . 3rd photo shows the slab poured.
    next is to build the stand , going to use house bricks (picked up 1400 for $100 on e-bay) pick up this weekend, so at a stand still untill then.

regards Gary

Re: aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo

Hi AussiePizzaMan,

Good luck on your build. I hope you find the endeavor of building your own oven as fulfilling as we all have. I'll try my best to help you as you go along. As Les would put it, "Welcome to THE obsession." Prepare to have a great time.

Sincerely,
    Raffy
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Aussie Aussie Aussie ! Good luck mate not sure I have that muc h experience in the oven building gig this being my first! You can check
      out my build at daves build. Although I have certainly learnt a few things along the way which might help. Good luck

Comment

I predict that slab will crack at the "inside" corners.

If it is not visible afterward that doesn't matter.

Comment

hi raffy , dave and neil
          appreciate the offers to help and will certainly take up the offers.
          neil , is the corners cracking a normal problem , but I intend on building brick benches so they wont be visable .

regards gary

Comment

More rio will stop the corners from cracking, put at 45 degrees across the corners, this is what they do on house slabs.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Inside corners are notorious for developing cracks. With re bar these will be hairline cracks and primarily an aesthetic issue.

Comment

Good luck on the build Gary, if any products needed give me a yell.
                Also keen to help out on any questions you may have.

Comment

Gary,
                  It looks like you're rather close to your boundary fence. Most councils require 1.5 m from the fence. I hope you are friendly with your neighbours.
                  Dave
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

hi johnny and dave
                    dave , I never gave that a thought , better hope they like pizza.
                    johnny , will give you a ring when i am ready to start the oven.

Question , I read some where that you can use solid red clay bricks in stead of fire bricks for the dome , any feed back would be welcome.

regards Gary

Comment

John (lwood) used fired red clay bricks for his oven and is working just fine for his huge oven. My take on the clay bricks is if its dense and stores heat well it will be a good substitute for fire bricks.
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

hi raffy ,
                        thanks for that ,Just looking at the options because i have been quoted $3.96 per brick compared to $.50 for red clay bricks.

gary

Comment

Yeah that's usually the case. Geez... is that AUD 3.96? That's quite expensive. The biggest expense I had for my oven project was definitely the fire bricks. I picked the firebricks cause I wanted the same performance as the oven in the pizzeria I worked in but the red clay bricks are just as good.

Just to be sure, search the threads here on red clay brick ovens. There are quite a few that I've read and they can help you determine if the clay brick you have has the right characteristics.

Good luck!
                          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

thanks raffy,
                            I checked out john's (lwood) build and very impressive.The red clay bricks are the normal house size . Will search other red clay ovens as you suggested.

regards Gary

Comment

hi all
                              I have started to build the stand for my oven.As can been seen in the photos attached i am using normal house bricks.These photos show the outer wall in cream brick and I will do an inner wall in a mushroom color as well as the archway to the storage area .will post more photoes as I GO.

regards Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X