Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometers/Thermocouples?

Hi,

Has anybody used the thermocouple approach to measuring temperature?

Laser thermometers are relatively cheap.

What is the best way to measure temps?

I am just digging the first hole, but would like to have my ducks in a row as I begin.

Thanks

Re: Thermometers/Thermocouples?

I am also in the beginning stages of my build but I have already built my thermocouples and purchased my meter to measure them with. I bought 25' of type K thermocouple wire online and an inexpensive multimeter capable of reading type K thermocouples. They are very easy to assemble yourself and I have 4 thermocouples and a meter for less than $70 including shipping. They work perfectly. I am going to put one in the oven floor, one in the dome, and one about 4" out in the firebrick somewhere to measure heat saturation of the masonry. I think I will put the last one at the must vulnerable combustible surface adjacent to the oven just to moniter heat in that area for safety purposes since my oven will be attached to my home.

Craig

Comment

For pizza a laser thermometer that goes to 900-950 or so is all you need for pizza. Thermocouples are nice in Allen Scott bread ovens - particularly during learning, but once you learn your oven they really aren't necessary. The reason they are nice for bread is that the temperatures well into the refractory give you an idea of how much heat you have loaded and thereby how much you can bake - which is done without a fire. For pizza you are far more interested in the surface temp of the hearth for it is the fire that keeps the oven at operating temperature and the heat in the refractory is somewhat secondary (yes it does heat the area of hearth under the pizza back up but...it is not the primary source of heat).

So assuming you are building a pizza oven I would suggest saving money and just getting a laser! (Besides they are a neat toy!)
      Jay

Comment

Have you decided whether or not to use thermocouples? I may never use them once I get used to the oven but I thought it would be better to have them and never use them than to want them later and have to figure out a way to install them after the oven is built.

Craig

Comment

I am also in the beginning stages of building my WFO and decided to use thermocuoples. I am only putting in 2 one in the hearth at the just underneith the firebrick and the other in the dome, just into the fire brick. I figured that I would rather have them in at the beginning and like u say not try to find a way to get them in later
          Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

can we see some pictures of your ideas

Comment

Working...
            X