It has begun, finally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has begun, finally.

The hole is dug, block, rebar, brick, mortar, forms built...Rotten rainy snowy weather coming !!! All Stop.

I have posted various times but now have figured out how to post pictures.

Thanks in advance to all.

Please take a look and critique my seat of the pants design.

Oven height 16" inside dia.

door opening 10" and a little, 22" wide.

Oven Floor: 27" X 36"

Derk

Re: It has begun, finally.

From what I can see you are doing a barrel oven design? Still snowing at this time??? Never knew Utah weather was so cold. Isn't it suppose to be spring already?

The mock up looks great. I like the two piece arches. Looks like you are on the right path.
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

It was almost 80 degrees today, the next few days will be in the 30's for a low. A little rough on the garden.

I will be meeting with the fire marshall tomorrow to get the rules.

Yes it is a barrel design.

Derk

Comment

Two things have been learned in the last few days:

1: Just because it was 72 two days ago does not mean that it will not snow last night.

2: Always check with the firemarshall first, our hole is 8 feet too close to the property line. Time to redig.

Comment

Looking at your layout pics, why not move the inner and outer arches closer by 1" and eliminate the metal?

Comment

Good suggestion, I will reposition the arches, less metal to potentially rust is better. I have enough firebrick to fill in around the flue with minimal ref mortar. I made two trips to the firebick pile to make sure I had enough.

The arches are also firebrick, $2.00 for each complete arch.

When the snow melts Gavin and I will dig the proper foundation hole.

Thanks

Comment

Here we go, I am committed, in more than one way. poured slab today.
              68X86 slab
              5-6 inches crushed 1" gravel
              5.5 inches 6 bag concrete
              5/8 rebar with 8 inche mesh

We cannot wait until it cures.

Comment

You can lay block in a day or two if you want.

Thank you very much for the care package, this weekend I will be having honey wheat bread as well as honey ON my bread. Salute!

Comment

Your Welcome, my pleasure. It is in the 50's again today. I was lucky to get the pad in. I thought it was going to rain, but it did not.

Does your door go past your chimney? butt against your inner arch? I am assuming that it does or else all the heat would go straight up and out.

Comment

It is "keyed". The inner part fits into the archway, the outer part is 1" larger all the way around. That is how I built both of my failed doors and will make door #3.

That is the insulating door, I haven't decided on the outer weather door, I may make it as attached shutters.

Comment

Door #1 laying down, Door #2 standing.

Door #2 in place:

Comment

Just how I envisioned it. I like the cast door. I will follow your progress and then copy it.

Did you have any trouble removing your oven arch form? I noticed it rested on bricks did that help?

Derk

Comment

It is key that it be chocked or you won't be able to remove it without breaking the arch.

Comment

Here we go, the monolith rises, I hope that I never have to get rid of this thing. It is not going anywhere.

Due to the fact that I scrounged my block, with the scalloped type side, they had no corner brick with the same design.

Is regular thinset ok for setting a 8X8 tile on the half block blank sides?

Or do I need a special thinset for outdoor applications?

Thanks
                            Derk

Comment

Here we are, ready for the second slab.

Comment

Working...
                              X