Ashes? Any uses to recycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashes? Any uses to recycle?

Was just wondering what everyone does with there ashes? Wondering if you could put them in your garden or any other uses other than just in the garage (which i don't have a problem doing)
    Toby

Columbus, NE

Re: Ashes? Any uses to recycle?

They keep the flies off your garbage in the trash can.

Comment

hmmm.. did not know that flies did not like ashes...funny they sure most other things that are waste
      Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Ash is sterile and strong PH, they do not like it.

Comment

Originally posted by meco211 View Post
          Was just wondering what everyone does with there ashes? Wondering if you could put them in your garden or any other uses other than just in the garage (which i don't have a problem doing)
          Ash can be excellent in the garden, depending upon the existing acidity of your soil and the type of plants. Ash is generally quite alkaline, so don't put it on blueberries!
          My Clay Oven build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

1) Make lye and/or soap. Not actually worth the effort unless you just want to know how.
            2) Deodorize trash cans.
            3) Keep flies off dog poop - or anything else.
            4) Possibly drive away fire ants. I've only tried once but it did seem to have an effect. I'll let you know how it works out.
            5) Garden/soil/lawn - yeah, it can help but only in small quantities. Unless you want a swept yard, don't plan on getting rid of much ash this way.
            6) Deodorize little boxes - labor intensive since you need to create clumps beforehand.
            7) There are others but I can't think of them right now.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

wow soap out of ash! how the garden would do, if you spread it out around the plants. Mainly Tomatoes and peppers?
              Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Here are some links on it - I'm afraid I've hit my limit.

UCONN IPM: HOMEGROUNDS: Using Wood Ashes in the Garden

Using Wood Ash in the Garden

gardening.about.com/od/soil/f/Wood_Ash.htm
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Here in the hill country I was told to never put ash in my garden soil (because it is already basic). It can be very beneficial for some soils and some plants but typically not in large quantities. Alas, we can make WAY too much ash for reasonable use.
                  Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                    3) Keep flies off dog poop - or anything else.
                    Wow - and all this time I have just been removing the poop.
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I put my ash in the compost along with any unburnt coals if I've removed them. The ash is alkaline, but if you have a fair quantity of leaves in your compost, which are acidic, it will balance the mix nicely.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                        Wow - and all this time I have just been removing the poop.
                        Stop gap. There are times when it's more convenient to dump on a pile of ash until you can get back and do the job right.

But more often it goes in the box with the stuff from the kennel until it can be bagged. Reduces the need to haul the big trash can to the kennel or the number of trips to haul the poop to the can.

[/CENTER]

Comment

I live on the side of the country with acid soil, so I put them in the compost pile. We also use them on the sidewalks and driveway to keep the ice from killing us in the winter. And I have a nice unpaved alley in the back, which periodically gets infusions of ash spread on it......
                          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

All this dumping on the ash reminds me of a time when a very large German Shepherd did a huge dump on my front lawn. He came by again yesterday and did the same thing only this time he brought his dog with him.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	lmbo.gif
Views:	3
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	280766

Oh, I know which one I forgot - insulation! It has to be kept scrupulously dry but it is a great insulator. Hearth cooks would keep a large quantity of ash by the hearth for baking - it would insulate the dutch oven/covered pot while the contents baked.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X