Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke

Hi, this may seem like a silly question, but I was wondering about the level of smoke the oven produces. Is there a great deal of smoke? The reason I am asking is that i was thinking about positioning the oven next to my fence. However, it's obviously not my intention to have smoke wafting into my neighbour's patio.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Ross

Re: Smoke

Hi Ross
    My oven isn't finished yet, so can't really sepak from experience. I have however raised this question before, for the same reasons you have.

I'm told that it does get a bit smokey initially, when starting the fire. But as soon as it gets going and is nice and hot, the chimney starts to draw the fire, and this significantly reduces the amount of smoke.

There are a couple of FB video's on youtube that show this.

Hope this helps.

Jon
    Cardiff

Comment

I get 20 minutes worth at startup, about 2x my smoker amount, then nothing.

Comment

nice one guys. Thanks for the info. I could site it somewhere else, but it's not the best use of limited space. Appreciate the advice.

Comment

Just bring them a pizza occasionally, I promise they won't complain.

Comment

...or do what Raffy did with his towering inforno.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

My oven smokes mainly when starting up and when I put wet/green logs on. Once at temperature (clear - or even approaching clear) mine makes very little smoke. It is too hot!
              Jay

Comment

If you overlaod the chamber with fuel it will also smoke. With care apart from start up (5 mins) you should be able to fire almost smoke free if your wood is dry. The "Top down method" of starting the fire is also almost smoke free if you get it right.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Good point, David! I use the stuff it and go approach...
                  Jay

Comment

I was at a market last year and they put me next to a lady who made nice knitted baby booties and the like. I was so worried about infusing her wares with smoke that I ended up learning how to fire the oven virtually smoke free. Rule 1. Always maintain flame.
                    2. Don't overload the chamber.
                    3. Top down method for lighting.
                    4. Use a blow pipe to give the fire a blast of O2 when needed.
                    5. Always use dry wood.
                    She was a lovely lady and didn't complain, but I did work the oven so that no smoke ended up on her goods. She also appreciated the pizza I cooked.
                    I think we need to consider our neighbours.
                    Dave
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                    X