Foundation Thickness and Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foundation Thickness and Form

My pour went well, thanks for asking. I had lots of help...
    I had calculated 24 bags but I ended up using ALL the quickqrete I had, 32 80# bags. I guess it was the 8"+ of perimeter beam I dug that used up more volume. And I did end up using a 6mil vapor barrier.

I have not bought my bricks yet, so I might get with you, but that won't be until sometime in September. (July I'll be away on vacation and August will be the block stand and second pour)

Are you finished with your dome? If not you may wait to see how many you have left over. How many bricks did you end up getting?
    Oven build 2010
    Masonry veneer finishout 2012

Comment

I've used 12 inches of concrete - for airport parking aprons.

4 inches of reinforced concrete is plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankT View Post
        My pour went well, thanks for asking. I had lots of help...
        I had calculated 24 bags but I ended up using ALL the quickqrete I had, 32 80# bags. I guess it was the 8"+ of perimeter beam I dug that used up more volume. And I did end up using a 6mil vapor barrier.

I have not bought my bricks yet, so I might get with you, but that won't be until sometime in September. (July I'll be away on vacation and August will be the block stand and second pour)

Are you finished with your dome? If not you may wait to see how many you have left over. How many bricks did you end up getting?
        I haven't even gotten the foundation started. Been pretty busy at work etc. I have 618 bricks so I should have a few left...

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          Sorry, Imissed your question. I got your PM and prefer to answer here so it may help someone else.

Your contractor wants to pour your slab monolithically, and that is not a problem, although his reasoning is flawed. If the oven/kitchen foundation is poured at the same time as the patio slab, there still needs to a difference in the dirtwork. The patio is just 4" deep with wire and/or fibers, while the oven and counter slabs needs to be a little more robust, with some rebar, and possibly beams around the perimeter.

I do not do masonry work, I am on the other side of the fence selling masonry products. You should do it all yourself, if not call me and I will give you a couple of names. 431-0870.

In the Austin area there are 3 companies that sell firebrick, refractory cement, etc.

Acme Brick has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement, and their sister company Featherlite should have perlite.

AHI has fire brick and wet mix refractory cement and fire clay, and may have perlite.

MPI has a full line of refractory cements, firebrick, and perlite.

Also, Elgin-Butler brick in Elgin will sell cheap #2 firebrick if you go pick them up.
          Thanks for the help! Yes, the contractors want to do a beam and if I can do the patio separately that's great.

I already picked up a ton of firebricks 2 summers ago (pallet full) so I should be good to go. I think it's 618 of them. I want to do it all myself but I'm concerned about the finish work on the stone as I said earlier. Do you know of anybody that would be willing to show me how to do the work? If so then I'd be all for doing it myself!

Comment

Another alternative would be faux stone over the CMU, it is much easier to do, and you are not as limited on styles. Plus I know where you can get it for about 20% of the normal price on closeout.

Comment

Another alternative would be faux stone over the CMU, it is much easier to do, and you are not as limited on styles. Plus I know where you can get it for about 20% of the normal price on closeout.
              Can I get faux stone to match my house? I would totally do that if that was the case. I just know my HOA is a bunch of strick ******** that make you get the material approved etc and they want it to "look" the same as the rest of the neighborhood. Do you know if they make a veneer that is a texas fieldstone? Should match the attached picture.

Comment

They do.

Flagstone | Exterior Veneer Stone Brick Concrete Veneer

Comment

Wow, great. Already sent them an email to see what they have that matches. I'm curious at the cost. Also, what would mortar etc for something like that run? How would I do the arches in my plans for the wood storage areas? I do appreciate the help and I'm soooooo excited about my outdoor kitchen!

Comment

It costs about 5-6 bucks a square foot and sticks directly onto the cmu or backer board with either mortar or thinset (which I recommend). Arches, etc are no big deal.

Comment

It costs about 5-6 bucks a square foot and sticks directly onto the cmu or backer board with either mortar or thinset (which I recommend). Arches, etc are no big deal.
                      Great! I will look into it. How would the veneer form to a curved surface (such as the arched wood storage areas)? Can you think of any major downfalls to going with a veneer vs stone? Any upsides besides saved $$? Thank you for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                      X