Indespnesable Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indespnesable Tool

I was wondering if someone could point me to a thread that tells how to make it???

Chris

Re: Indespnesable Tool

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html

Comment

My variation was to screw a block of wood onto the plywood inner circle form which was placed on the floor of the oven. A 3/4 inch hole was bored in the exact center, and a piece of 3/4 inch steel rod from the junkyard was placed in the hole. A 75 cent hardware store hinge was welded to the rod, and then a piece of threaded rod (1/2-13) was welded to the other side of the hinge. A washer and two nuts on the opposite end of the threaded rod kept the washer at exactly 18 inches radius, and made for a nearly ferfect hemispherical dome. I would rest the inner edge of the bricks on the washer until the set in place, and move to the next.

Comment

Mine is simular. I bolted a thin piece of plywood (Luan) to the smallest lazy susan I could find at HomeDepot. I then took a straight 2 x 2 square piece of wood cut to 21" in length. This I then screwed a small hinge to the back side and down to the lazy susan. On the other end I screwed in a small mounting angle that would help me determine some of the angle cuts needed.

Comment

I wouldn't count out just drilling an 1/8 inch hole in the brick floor. It isn't what I did but it sure makes the tool easy and whatever hole is drilled it'll fill with ash during the curing fires.

Just a thought.

Chris

Comment

There are so many different variations of this tool, they all seem to work quite well.

George
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

There are even some that are adjustable so you can achieve the elliptical shape some consider optimal for a pizza oven.

Comment

Does anyone sell these tools?
                Jay

Comment

Not that I'm aware of.. As stated earlier, They're not complicated things, they just hold the brick at a set distance from the center point of the hemisphere. Before Hendo built his, the tool was a string from the center point.

See
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html

C

Comment

After I am done with mine I would be more then willing to sell it to you. Now let me see how much I would charge:
                    1. 21" 2x2 straight stick - Cost ? found in scrap bin
                    2. Small hinge - Cost ? found in junk door.
                    3. Small lazy susan - Cost about $2.00 from HomeDepot
                    4. 1/8" thk piece of luan plywood for mounting- Cost ? found in garage
                    5. Small angle mounting bracket- cost ? found in junk door
                    6. Intellectual property - Cost $11,526.13

And you pay shipping and handling lol.

Comment

Gosh gdest, you must be a gov. supplier..
                      :-)

C

Comment

^^^...lol...
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks I love wise guy answers
                          Jay

Comment

Gary:

This is Lee Bahr over here in Kingwood. Is your indispensable tool sold? If not your price looks like a good deal to me!

Thanks for the call. I can help you next Sunday, but not Saturday, if you plan to work on the oven then. (I am going to a radio "swap meet" Saturday. Normally I could help on a Saturday or Sunday, or for that matter any week day as I am retired. I do go to my lake house just about every day to work on it, but I'll take some time off to help you.

I have not started my oven as yet. I'm interested in seeing yours and helping a bit.

Give me another call when you are back. Got neighbors over here right now. Can't stay on the computer or phone right now.

Used to travel all the time too. I was in sales as a sales manager for Gilbarco. They make most of the service station gas pumps amoung a zillion related things. Called on oil companies, jobbers and distributors. Age is 72 now. Still get around like a young guy. Been building my lake house for 8 years. It should be finished later this year, or at least close to it.

Lee Bahr
                            cellphone: 281-543 3409

Comment

Working...
                            X