Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Hi all,

I'm from South Wales in the UK and in the process of building my pizza/bread oven. I have a problem! I hope someone can give me an answer..........

Can I use large porcelain tiles as a base for my oven, I have standard red brick as my main base (I understand that I should be using fire bricks but they have been so hard to get hold of and I've had a week off to try and get the oven done!) The red brick has been laid on clay and sand so I just want to use the porcelain tiles as a top, laid in clay and sand so I can take them out if needed, what I want to know is if I can use a large porcelain tile on top, 1) to protect 2) given the heat properties of porcelain to hold the heat better?

Any help would be most appreciated as I've had such a nightmare sourcing materials you wouldn't believe!

LM

Re: Help

I am surprised you were not able to locate fire bricks - even back home (Poland) one could find them with ease.

Re your question: so you will have (from top to bottom)

porcelain tiles
    red bricks
    clay
    sand
    insulation
    regular concrete, correct? I just feel the tiles will crack very easily, especially when heated

I am not sure if using regular bricks is a good idea. The whole project is soooo labor intense, I would hate to hear that everything cracked to pieces in couple of months.
    my own Quest for Fire:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/leckig/

Comment

Thanks for reply,

I'm going to get rid of the reds and get some fire bricks for the base instead and solid red for the dome. I did manage to get some from Victas.

Your advice is well taken, it is labour intensive and all the rest is nice. Still wonder about my concrete lintle x10 base, I have covered with vermiculite and cement/sand? cheers

Geoff

Comment

I'm not sure the countertop matters. We stretch the dough in our hands until we put it on the peel to put into the oven.
        Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Many of the synthetic stone counter tops are not rated for outdoor use. The resins they use to bind the aggregates brake down under uv radiation.

Comment

Working...
          X