Angle iron and rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle iron and rust

I am still at the planning stage and am finding this forum invaluable. Planning, scheming, convincing yourself that you can do this, call it what you like, I am getting into it and enjoying the challenge. I find myself forever peeping at scrap heaps at building sites and window shopping at garage sales and salvage yards to source recycled/cheap materials. It is becoming an obsession and I have not turned a sod yet!

I have many questons, but at the moment I am trying to work out what reo to use to provide structure to bases and hearth, and what to use for reinforcement of front of stand (e.g. angle iron). My question at this stage is, How come people dont seem concerned about the angle iron creating a rust stain that will come through the rendering?

Oh and by the way, my dickie log in stands for Keep It Simple Stupid, so dont get any ideas!!

I was wondering about the name. Just a guess, are you English?

Can any of our building material experts explain why the angle iron doesn't rust and leave a mark through the stucco. It doens't, though I am not sure why.

Is the stucco too dense to let the rust show through?
    Or, is it too waterproof to let the angle iron get wet and create rust?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Rust

James, Kiss Principle,

I've never seen rust show through from angle iron, either, and this includes applications directly exposed to the elements. Commonly, here at least, angle iron, like I-beams, is primered with red oxide. That's why the guys who work on high steel call it "walkin the red." Truly, though, for rust to develop, the iron would have to be exposed to more or less constant moisture. Once it's sealed in with stucco, veneer, whatnot, the moisture source is cut off, so no rust to bleed through.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Rust 2

James and Canuckjim
        Appreciate quick response. The reason ask is because I am planning to improvise throughout this job and this includes using some older angle iron (has some rust). I also live near the beach where most things seem to rust.
        I will keep poking around looking for materials, keeping my eye on this forum, talking to mates, etc.
        Until next time

Steve
        PS Aussie not Pom

Comment

Now there's a mistake. Sorry about the incorrect ID.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

galvanised angle iron, anyone?

In our coastal area, a lot of reo and angle iron is sold heavily galvanised - I thought using such stuff as required in my putative pizza oven...

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Cairoca
            "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

rust

In the US rebar is sold bare, except for use in road building where it is exposed to salt, where it is epoxy coated. Angle iron is usually galvanized, but just to keep it from getting rusty and shop worn: I don't think it's hot-dipped which would give it any real rust resistance in wet environments.

Remember: If the oven isn't kept dry, it won't heat up. If it's not wet, it won't rust to any significant extent.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
              X