Filling in the hearth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling in the hearth

What's the easiest way to do this? should I buy a mixer or just mix it in my wheelbarrow. How about moving the cement to the top. should i just shovel it to the top. Seems like a lot of work. Has anyone try to make a ramp of some sorts. Any thoughts?

Re: Filling in the hearth

I have a mixer but I did not use it for the hearth slab. I mixed concrete in a wheel barrow, dumped a few shovelfull of concrete into a 5 gallon bucket, and dumped that into the form. It is not a whole lot of work unless you have a much larger area to pour.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Depends on your access etc. My favorite technique is to put a mixer in the bed of my truck, back up to the stand with all the concrete bags opened and cued up in the bed of my truck ready to go, mix and pour two at a time. That is assuming I am going to pour the support slab, or I cant couple it up with a larger pour and just use a ready mix truck.

Comment

I had to get from the street in front, up 8 stairs and around behind the house.

I ended up with a mini-mix truck and a pump. It was somewhat spendy, but instead of being a full day of hauling cement bags, mixing and shoveling, it was done in 35 minutes.
        My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
          I have a mixer but I did not use it for the hearth slab. I mixed concrete in a wheel barrow, dumped a few shovelfull of concrete into a 5 gallon bucket, and dumped that into the form. It is not a whole lot of work unless you have a much larger area to pour.

I just filled in by cinder blocks and it took 2 1/2 hours. By the time I was done the others were already hard. Wont that happen to my hearth. It seems I'll be pouring concrete on top of concrete already hardening. Is that bad or is it Ok?

Comment

It's inexpensive to rent a concrete mixer, and worthwhile for this job.

My concrete mixer primer may be useful here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/c...asics-790.html
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Check your yellow pages for a "Mini-mix" type concrete service. They have mixers on large pickup trucks and will deliver a one yard minimum. I used them for my pad and hearth; best money I spent on the project. I think I used ~3/4 yard for each order and they drove across my yard to the work site.

Your back will thank you.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                Check your yellow pages for a "Mini-mix" type concrete service. They have mixers on large pickup trucks and will deliver a one yard minimum. I used them for my pad and hearth; best money I spent on the project. I think I used ~3/4 yard for each order and they drove across my yard to the work site.

Your back will thank you.
                Here's the thing, I cant get a truck to my backyard, I'll need a pumper which would add to the cost. It would litterly be around 400 bucks for a hearth which seems to much to me.

Comment

Originally posted by hb2474 View Post
                  Here's the thing, I cant get a truck to my backyard, I'll need a pumper which would add to the cost. It would litterly be around 400 bucks for a hearth which seems to much to me.
                  You definitely want to go the rental route as Dmun suggested. Lots of folks have done the mix-in-the-wheelbarrow technique, but it'll take 2 years off your life
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

it'll take 2 years off your life
                    Maybe a year less than if you mixed it with a hoe in a plastic mortar tub.

Building a staging platform will reduce your load considerably, as an earlier poster suggested.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                      Lots of folks have done the mix-in-the-wheelbarrow technique, but it'll take 2 years off your life
                      I would think otherwise. It'll be a great aerobic activity......but check with your doc first if you haven't exercised in a long while.....
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I just spoke to someone who would bring and mix up half a yard in my driveway for 220.00. I would have to wheel barrow it into the hearth. Is this a good price?

Comment

I wouldn't pay that much for just 1/2 yard of concrete. You could probably get a couple of yards for that price. I'm sure the guy's charging you the minimum delivered price there, whether you get 1/2 yard or 2 yards, for instance.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

It is 1 yard minimum. I called other places and 1 was for 225 the other was 250.00. I have a bad back and I think this may be the best solution. 1 I dont have to breathe in all that dust and 2 it will take me about 1/2 hour to haul it in. If I was to call in a truck and a pumper it would have cost me $500.00. The costs are starting to add up. for the stand an hearth I'm looking at around 350.00. I also bought a tile saw for 300.00 (HB saw, stand and blade) for a total of 650.00. Hopefully I can get this under 1300.00.

Comment

Working...
                            X