Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vents brick and mortar

Hi,

Is it ok to use normal engineering brick and normal mortar in the vent? It seems to suggest this in the plans, but I would have thought that these areas would be subject to some fairly high heat too?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ross

Re: Vents brick and mortar

I can't help with the question, but I can confirm that the lower end of the vent gets extremely hot!
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by aeu99217 View Post
      Hi,

Is it ok to use normal engineering brick and normal mortar in the vent? It seems to suggest this in the plans, but I would have thought that these areas would be subject to some fairly high heat too?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ross
      Hello Ross

Nice to see you are progressing with your build and love the photo's that you have posted.

My thoughts on your questions are.....the internal arch, which creates the rebate for your door and becomes one half of your vent opening should be fire-brick. The bricks which form the opening entrance to your internal arch can be a normal "clay brick"...the bricks that form the second arch, and the other half of the dome vent from the "springing point"...(the start of the curve) should also be fire-brick.

Engineering bricks are normally used below ground level as they make a good barrier against water penetration......they are always used to build manholes.

They are however a dense wire cut clay, fired to a high temperature in a kiln and can withstand the heat that a wood-fired oven achieves. They don't have the thermal qualities of a fire-brick but can be used in the entrance archway (up to the springing point) and for the chimney, once a level platform has been built with fire-brick which directly has contact with either dome or vent opening. A fire-clay mix would be advisable to use with any part of this construction.

These are only my thoughts on your question Ross and hope you get a bit more response from the oven builders on the forum.

All the best with your build......Terry
      Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the lateness of mine, but i must have missed the email notifying me of a reply. I'm going to try and finish the oven today and i'll post some photos later on at some point.

Bought some more fireclay last week so im going to crack on using the high heat mortar. Will post later today.

Cheers Ross

Comment

Originally posted by aeu99217 View Post
          Bought some more fireclay last week so im going to crack on using the high heat mortar. Will post later today.

Cheers Ross
          Hi Ross, I'm a novice at building and just about to use some high heat mortar. I have a bag of mortar. Should i add anything sand? lime?

Cheers, bamba

Comment

Working...
          X