No announcement yet.

building my first pizza oven need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building my first pizza oven need help!

Hi i am building my first pizza oven and only want to build a small dome shape. what is the best type of stone to use to cook the pizza on? i know you use fire bricks to form the dome then insulation over that then is it clay? what sort of clay and insulation do i use? also what do i make the base for it all to sit on? I am going to copy a video from youtube which looks pretty basic, is this right?YouTube - building a wooden fired pizza oven, light construction. Lav din egen br?ndefyret pizzaovn DIY any help would be appreciated thanks Luke.

Re: building my first pizza oven need help!

Welcome!

Go to the Fornobravo store.

When you get there, pretend to 'buy' the plans (they are free). Put them in your cart, and proceed to buy them.

Follow the instructions and download the oven plans and study them at length....That is the secret to success.

Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Lets see: a concrete slab, uninsulated, on pressure treated wooden posts. A dome made from splits laid sideways, covered with a little bit of domestic fiberglass, then thick stucco. No vent.

Gosh, what could go wrong with this project?

Take Lburou's advice and study the pompeii plans. Everything there is a result of actual, successful, oven builds. It's designed with the amateur builder in mind. You also have a community of builders who will talk you through every step.

Or, you could keep looking at random you-tubes.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

dmun, you forgot about the massive crack in the base and the fact that the whole thing is held up with just screws into the legs......
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Forno Bravo plans are, hands down, the best plans anywhere. "Buy" them and read. Repeat a few times. They're the best for making an actual, well constructed working oven.
          My Build Thread

Comment

For many things, you-tube can be a great resource. Having said that, I would take everything you see on you-tube with a grain of salt.

Comment

Honestly, other than the fancy lattice work he made for the dome form, that build is a disaster. A lot less time on the form work and a lot more research would have gone a long way.
              I would love to see when that slab crack makes it all the way through the slab and front to back, and it will. That thing is one good fire or one freeze/thaw cycle away from folding like a house of cards.

As for YouTube, I think of it as just another entertainment source. For every good tutorial there are 100 that are just plan wrong, not to mention those posted as entertainment or the "lool at me" factor.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
                For many things, you-tube can be a great resource. Having said that, I would take everything you see on you-tube with a grain of salt.
                ^^^THIS^^^

I am in the middle of my 1st build and learned youtube the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                X