Florida Firebrick Supplier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Firebrick Supplier?

Does anyone have a firebrick supplier in Florida (preferable south FL) they can recommend?

Re: Florida Firebrick Supplier?

There are a lot of suppliers, but I work for Cemex and we sell fire brick and Heat Stop in a lot of our facilities from Cocoa Beach to Miami. Where exactly are you looking to pick them up?
    My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

I agree with Steve....go to a Cemex plant.

I am in the middle of a build now. I first found my firebrick at Harwood Brick in Longwood (NE of Orlando). Harwoods is okay, but a bit flaky on the outside. When I needed more I went to Cemex. Nice, hard, smooth. A bit pricier at ~$1.70 a brick, but great for the cooking floor. I reserved the "flaky" stuff for the dome.

Comment

Cemex $1.20 (Delray beach) there is one in Miami but they didn't had any last week, Florida Silica Sand Miami has it for $1.50.

Comment

I live in West Broward and will be starting to build an oven. Where are the CEMEX locations to purchase the brick? Do you have a phone number for those locations and why is Delray cheaper than Miami? I looked on line but could not find the product listed on their website.

Comment

Jsgombar.... Go to CEMEX USA | LOCATIONS for locations.

This is just a guess, but one location's Manager may be giving Do-It-Yourselfer's the wholesale contractor rate, one may be charging retail rate....hard to say.

Good luck with the build. I was out back today building a small L-shaped wall off the side of mine for a food preparation area. I still need to complete the roof and put the stone on but have been using the oven for months...once it was operational I took a couple of months off.

Pizza, Calzones, Bread, Ribs, and Pork Butt are slammin'! Doing Pizza tonight then beef briskett will go in late tomorrow night for Sunday. I modified the design so I have a firebox underneath with access from the back of the block stand. It has an opening at the center against the backwall of the igloo that serves as both an ash pit or I can light a fire beneath for indirect low smoking barbecue.

Again, Good Luck and keep us posted on how it is going.

Comment

Just a thought: Because Firebricks are so difficult & costly to get here in Jamaica (US$6.00 each was the last quote I got), a friend who is a potter built his kiln nearly 20 years ago out of poured concrete made with fire cement & it has worked well for him. He is regularly heating the kiln around 1,500 deg F with no problems.

Anyone done a poured concrete dome vs firebrick? Any thoughts?

Comment

If you search the threads there are some that discuss using refractory cement to pour formed ovens.

Forno Bravo kit ovens are made from some type of poured refractory material but they of course have moulds for turning out a lot of them. I think these type products also require to be properly fired in a kiln.

However, pottery suppliers are great for some of the materials needed for building an oven. I went to Axner Pottery here in Oviedo to get K-23 insulating brick for my insulation layer beneath the cooking floor and Kao wool for over the dome. I had an engineer at work review the specs for both Insblock and K23 and while the Insblock is slightly more efficient as an insulator being locally available was a bonus. My Oven is holding heat quite well with the K23.

Comment

I don't have their phone number but it is on their web page, they have a store on miami that some times has the bricks on stock, I really don't know why the bricks were cheaper in the Delray Beach location, I bought mine at florida silica. If you have any question just Send me a message I live in miramar west

Comment

Here is what we (Cemex) have in stock along with the contact information for the facilities: There are other types of fire brick along with different types of refractory cement (Heatstop 50, Rumsford, etc...) The phone numbers may have changed but any of these plants will have numbers to the other plants.

Firebrick 2.5"x4"x9" smooth (SAP number 1014242)
                    Some facilities will also have the 1.5" brick as well as the 2.5".

Tampa (1,600 in stock)
                    9117 Florida Mining Blvd
                    (813) 884-8447

Winter Park (1,200 in stock)
                    4010 Forsyth Rd
                    (407) 671-2134

Ocala (1,200 in stock)
                    619 SW 17th St
                    800 723-4513

Cocoa (700 in stock)
                    3345 E. Industry Rd
                    (321) 636-5121

Vero Beach (700 in stock)
                    925 12th St
                    (772) 567-5255

Jupiter (600 in stock)
                    281 Old Dixie Hwy
                    561-742-4039

Gainesville (500 in stock)
                    820 NW 53rd Ave
                    352-372-4844

Sanford (500 in stock)
                    2210 West 25th St
                    407-322-8864

Dunnellon (500 in stock)
                    11423 Williams St
                    352-489-8610

Daytona (500 in stock)
                    2900 South Ridgewood Av
                    386-7676-0251

Lake Worth (500 in stock)
                    1819 7th Av North
                    561-582-4431

South Miami (300 in stock)
                    4508 SW 72nd Av
                    305-666-3305
                    My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Wow - thank you everybody!! This was my first post to this forum and I am so appreciative at the response. You each have been very helpful.
                      Sanlucas - I live in Weston
                      SteveP - I work in construction and am hopeful I can get the better price through one of my contractors.
                      Last edited by jsgombar; 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X