Metal Stand and Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Stand and Oven

Hi I finished my Metal Stand for the Oven I poured the perlite/cement mix (6" thick) over a Cement Board (Permabase) the stand is 60" x 60" and now Im plannig to build the oven this weekend, but I'm not sure which way to go, castable or bricks? I wanted a mobile Oven , but i think that if I build it with bricks it could break while moving it. The difference in price it's like $100 so I wouldn't mind going the castable route. which one would you recomend? here are some pictures of the the stand. sorry but my phone camera is broke I will upload the pictures from my camera later.

Re: Metal Stand and Oven

If a unitized masonry structure cracks it is not a big deal. If a monolithic poured in place structure cracks it could be a big deal.

Comment

I'm always in favor of brick ovens being made out of brick, but that's just what I've gleaned from reading the experiences of people who try to cast their domes out of castable. Part of the problem is that there is no one castable formula. Every manufacturer has their proprietary mix and the experience of one person may not be that of someone else. In the US, where firebrick is cheap, there is precious little reason to use castable.

One of the questions you need to ask is whether your oven is movable, in other words able to be moved from one place to another on its casters, or whether you plan to put it on a trailer and drag it around the public roads at high speed. If the later is the case, your vermiculite concrete insulation pad may not hold up to the vibration and shocks that a mobile oven is subject to.

Experience has shown that the most successful mobile ovens use modular ovens, which have fewer pieces to vibrate apart, and fiber insulation.

Good looking stand, by the way.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm not planing on moving it on the highway or the street, is just moving it around the house or if I moving to another place use a forklift and put it on a truck. If I decide to go the castable way I'm gong to build it in 3 parts. so wich one is better?

Comment

so wich one is better?
          No one can make that decision for you. I can say that you will get a lot more support on a brick build here, because there is a lot more experience with that.

That said, either way will work.

Comment

but do you think if I make it with bricks the dome dome will brake if I move it?

Comment

Either one has the potential to break. I don't think breakage is likely on short moves.

Comment

Working...
              X