Foundation as a useable space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation as a useable space?

Has any ever used the space inside if the foundation as storage space? if so how do you support all of the weight from the floor, cooking surface and dome?

Re: Foundation as a useable space?

When I was at your stage, I went through the same thoughts. Trap door in the slab at grade would make for a great place to hide the family treasures. In the end, I decided it would be too much work. I filled the foundation in with sand and poured the slab. Here is a link to the photos that I took of the build:

Picasa Web Albums - Daniel Woodruff - Wood Fired Oven

Comment

Wood storage area is common, the slab, if built to FB spec is strong enough to bridge it. I put a partition wall in and built a smaller free standing wood storage area since I did not want nooks and crannies for bugs, esp. wasps.

Comment

I am using 2, 6" I beams and cement pans for a floating deck plus the re-bar. Total overkill but I am no engineer and have no idea so I figured that will work for sure.

Comment

It is a waste of money. The FB design is already overkill even for seismic zones.

Comment

The materials are from a salvage yard so money is not the issue. But still no need for either product? I want to make a wine cellar and safe storage space?

Comment

If money is no object do what you want, but the FB plans are engineered.

Comment

If you use enough rebar (on 6 inch centers like I did - overkill) you will have no problem spanning the gap.

I am using my space for wood and brick chip storage during construction. I will store my dried wood and smokin wood/charcoal under there later.
                Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Skip the "I" beams and pans and the concept of a "floating" slab. A well reinforced (1% rebar) slab, structurally tied to the support walls, is what I would suggest.

Your foundations look to be very deep. Is this due to frost penetration concerns ? If this is the case, and you leave it open to the atmosphere, you will defeat the purpose of deep foundations.
                  Last edited by Neil2; 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Yes NE frost line is 42" I went 48" does this kill my open space project? IDK! I am here for suggestions, and I assumed the I beams and pans with the poured concrete under the 48" block foundation would make up for the open space below??

Comment

Back fill the interior up to ground grade. You can use the excavated material, but try to get some compaction as you fill it, particularly if you are going to pour a floor at ground level.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
                        Back fill the interior up to ground grade. You can use the excavated material, but try to get some compaction as you fill it, particularly if you are going to pour a floor at ground level.
                        We have backfilled up to grade. There will be no slab at ground level. Only supporting slab and the cooking floor. Open usable space below accessed by a 36"x36" Steel access door

Comment

If your hole is still open, I suggest some extruded polystrene (more is better) on the exterior of the foundation bricks to help create a buffer between the ground and your block.

Oops! I didn't see the second page saying you had backfileld already. Oh well.
                          Last edited by Tman1; 12-03-2010, 07:09 AM. Reason: impatience (didn't read through the thread all the way)
                          My oven (for now):
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Working...
                          X